Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-greasing

Forum User

De-greasing

When i brought my first air tool kit (cheapo one) i got a parafin wash gun or something like that, basicvally i presume it sprays a liquid out with enough force to clean things.

I know diesel can be used as a degreaser, but wondfered what teh best thing for general cleaning/de-greasing was, ie a gearbox casing

Forum User
    A degreasing fluid?? Autoglym do one..but you can buy others in whatever size you like. I have almost like a 25L drum with a sink attached to the top for degreasing stuff. but my mate has turned his old dishwasher into a degreaser just by plumbing it up to a drum of degreasing fluid...gets nice and hot.

If you are just pumping it through pipes then you anything you want, petrol is quite good also.

I would use seperate pipes, as when you come to spray paint anything you don't want any contaminent in there too.

You could shot blast the casing...either glass beads or crushed walnut shells.

anything petrochemical or alcohol based.

an oil based ethanol derivative would be the best bet, like diesel.

Greases are oils as are petrols etc, so you wanna use the same family of chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    A degreasing fluid?? Autoglym do one..but you can buy others in whatever size you like. I have almost like a 25L drum with a sink attached to the top for degreasing stuff. but my mate has turned his old dishwasher into a degreaser just by plumbing it up to a drum of degreasing fluid...gets nice and hot.

If you are just pumping it through pipes then you anything you want, petrol is quite good also.

I would use seperate pipes, as when you come to spray paint anything you don't want any contaminent in there too.

You could shot blast the casing...either glass beads or crushed walnut shells.
    does the dishwasher effort do thje job well? i was thinking of this....

Forum User
    I was gonna derease my cylinder head and then when the old dear went away just stick it in the ordinary dishwasher

Was thinking cheap too

Best off cleaning it by hand first, to get the worst of the gunge off. Conventional dishwasher detergents wont be able to emulsify all that grease.

Forum User
    i'm lazy too lol

Fair. But dont say i didnt warn ya ;)

Forum User
    So if i get myself some diesel and spray it on under pressure it shoudl wash the worst of it off and i can use something like a scouring pad or wire brush to remove everything else.

Shot blasting is ok, but not then the gearbox internals are still in there

Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    So if i get myself some diesel and spray it on under pressure it shoudl wash the worst of it off and i can use something like a scouring pad or wire brush to remove everything else.

Shot blasting is ok, but not then the gearbox internals are still in there
    Go and see any farmers you know and use red diesel rather than paying £1 a litre, could get expensive if you did.