Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Issues ;-)

Is there any plans to make the forum actually match the rest of the site? Just wondering as the forum looks like it's tacked on as an afterthought, no offence meant, it;s just the main site looks really good.

Using the same logo that is on the main site would be good for starters.

Another thing while I'm moaning, I think it would be beneficial for prospective users to be able to browse the forum before registering, if it was me and I came across the site I would actually want to see whats available and how busy the forum is before going through the procedure of signing up, just in case you had a poor setup or an inactive board.

If it was me I would bugger off to Cliosport and browse there before registering, I was browsing CS a long time before registering, some people just don't wanna sign up straight away, they wanna check out thew locals.

Oh and also Northy can't browse the site either at home or at work, might be a problem moderatin/admin-ing whithout actually being able to get on the site, hehe

Cheers

Rob

Banned
    The register first process was set up to stop spammers from cliosport browsing and starting trouble by registering just to post abusive bollox. TBH we have had a shit load of ppl sign up recently, so i dont think its stopping ppl, and since it was register first weve had no cliosport spammers.

The forum is slow enough at the moment for me. What do you want improving? Please no big avatars or siganatures as it makes it a mess to read.

I dont think ppl will join cliosport over this site as they offer completely different things. This site is a car site for enthusiasts with some extra banter thrown in. Cliosport is an agony aunt / dating board for ppl who also drive fast cars. People who are enthusiasts will soon leave if they do join. I counted one readable post IN THE LAST WEEK there. Same old 'just got caught speeding', '172 upgrade to 182' , 'pics of my car' and '182 back in dealers' posts over and over again.

None of the people on their seem interested in finding out how their cars work and its just over run by young chavs with 182's. I really dont think there is any competition.

Well I don't want signatures, I want the forum to look like it belongs to the site, no and afterthought, might be an idea to use the same colour scheme logos, instead of left overs from the last forum.

The dirty brown gold colour looks very amatuer and cheesy. Just becuase our Willys have gold on them doesn't mean the site should be over run with tacky homages to it.

And im my opinion who cares if people come across to cause trouble, we have moderators to sort them out, I think its a very BAD move making the forum not accessible to non forum members.

If I wasn't already a forum member I wouldn't sign up to be honest, I been to site likes this before where people setup boards just like this, where nobody ever posts I being a prospective poster want to see what I am getting for my money so to speak.

Forum User
    I think you both have good points, KS I agree without intending to be critical, I have struggled to find many interesting posts on CS. Rob has a point though a kind of look before you buy( though its free).

The CS site is full of people trying to " off load " their 172-182 before they are worth a bag of sugar!! seriously continuity is important but overall I am happy.

Rob you know a lot more than I do about forums and computers!!

Banned
    Rob its free to use the forum.

As far as i am aware, if you owned a Williams and wanted a Williams forum, you would sign up to view. Its not like there are any other Williams forums in the UK.

Its a sellers market, if they couldnt be bothered to fill 5 boxes out in a forum, then **** em. I have signed up to many forums before i have been able to join. Pretty much common practice on the American forums ive been on. Its pretty much par for the course.

In return for Northy and Fatboys hard work, i say its a fair price to expect someone to fill in 5 boxes.

Forum User
    I agree that signing up before you can access a forum could put people off, i know it normally would me. But the the main pages of the site are so good and look so well planned out, and i'd had several recommendations when to this site when asking for advice on other renault forums, i guessed it'd be worth a few minutes....... and i was right!

Banned
    Ok its 5pm, your Williams wont start. You need help. You log on get to the Williamsclio site. See there is a forum. Click the option. It says sihn up.

Now would you think the person would say:

'Well im not signing up without viewing first'

or

'Shit better sign up quick'

The latter me thinks

Coupled to the fact that 90% of all people on here found the site from the recommendations of existing users.

I really dont think that people will be put of signing up.

PLUS LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP IN THE LAST WEEK

It clearly DOESNT put people off

Thing is though you have no way of knowing who it puts off so why have something on a forum that could potentially put people off me included?

PS there's too many Robs on this thread

J o n
    I think the boards should be open to 'view' as well personally. people may just think it's for Williams only otherwise, when really the site is about the MK1 but takes a focus on the F7R.

Banned
    You have belief engines working (a reference to ignoring FACTs over your own BELIEFs, incidently which most people do).

Look at the stats for how many people joined before it was closed to views. Compare that with how many ppl have joined after it was closed to view.

Has the rate of joining gone down since the forum was not available to view prior to sign up?

The answer is NO

Now realise i am talking FACT. There is a higher rate of joining since forum has been closed to view. That is a fact. If you want to BELIEVE you have a point please feel free to THINK that closing the forum has reduced or will reduce sign ups. But the facts cannot be argued with, that it has INCREASED sign up rates.

Look at the facts, do not follow your beliefs. Ie be objective, not subjective. The evidence is there, just look for it.