PDA

View Full Version : Vs expensive cars

Purple
12-01-2006, 10:40
It has been torrential in these parts lately - which means we must all be cautious and safe on the road. Apparently I missed that memo, and had several good plays with some expensive cars with my little blue hatch. For the sake of performance benchmarking, you know.

First one was a Merc CL350 (sp?), we both were trying very hard and quite evenly matched. Very aggressive and lovely exhaust note when the Merc is caned hard. He wasn't getting away from me and neither me from him. Even stevens.

Second was a new Beemer 6 series rag-top. Both equally quick off the mark but I edged ahead. Think he chickened out past 60mph as I pulled many car lengths ahead. I mean the roads were soaking wet, so that was that.

Last was a Saab 9-5 Aero, he just saw me thrash the Beemer and wanted to play as well. Off the traffic lights, his traction control was really good and pulled ahead of me, but I stuck to his tail on an uphill slip-road onto a highway. Once on the highway, he made the crucial mistake of filtering out into the path of a slightly slower car and had to lift-off. That's when I knew I got him, and zoomed by him before he could spin up his turbo again. Suffice to say, he resorted to honking at slower cars to get out of his way to try and catch up, but in vain.

So there, not often I have a driving tale. And be careful on wet roads. :)

Daz.
13-01-2006, 01:17
Before I dropped the valver off I got stupidly out tractioned by a volvo estate - so embarassing not being able to get power down - he's miles out in front with no way of catching up! :?

Purple
13-01-2006, 01:39
Agree. I was once blown away by a Rolls Royce (the new one with the sloppy boot) off the lights in the wet :shock: As much as I hate any active system that interferes with the driving, I really wish I had electronic traction control on the Clio. Would at least give me a fighting chance against modern cars(with ETC) on wet take-offs. Anyone tried the ETC from Race Logic on the Clio?