PDA

View Full Version : Wiered knocking noise

Jimbob
24-12-2005, 12:40
Well, after 2 years with no real probs to talk of, its my turn to have something wrong (though it still hasnt hit 50k yet!). On returning home after a long journey last night, I noticed a strange knocking noise coming from the back of the car at very slow speeds, ie, when starting to pull away or almost coming to a stop. Its too quiet to be a wheel bearing and dont think its anything to do with the brakes. It literally just sounds like someone tapping the back of the car which increases with speed! Theres no vibration and it doesnt appear to come from a particular corner. The noise dissapears when the car gets properly moving, though that could be the engine drowning it out!

A brief inspection of the arches showed nothing abnormal, and there is no-one tied up in the boot... Any ideas?

Coops
24-12-2005, 12:54
have you checked your petrol tank for penguins?! :D

Jimbob
24-12-2005, 13:10
LOL, didnt check that! :lol:

tricky
24-12-2005, 13:44
Best bet is to have the wheels off and do a full inspection of the shockers and brake pads/disks. The disks have been known to crack with age and the shockers also can crack.

Never know, there could even be a dead mouse or vole whirrling around in there somewhere. lol

Jimbob
24-12-2005, 15:06
A vole?? LOL

clowo16v
24-12-2005, 16:00
Mine has done the same since I bought it, it sounds like a loose bolt rattling around in a hole but i've checked everything and nothing seems loose. I put new shockers on aswell and that didn't cure it.

See ya

Matt

BigBoreBri
24-12-2005, 18:21
Check the exhaust or heat-shield isn't causing the problem...

Wheel bearings can cause whirring noises so it could be the early sign of a dry one, either that or there's only the torsion bar assembly/bushes left to investigate really! Remember bearing noises can travell to various points :?

VIPERONE
24-12-2005, 18:33
lol i'd say exhaust knocking... wrap inner tube and plasti tie it on round the mounting pegs

Jimbob
24-12-2005, 18:48
I thought it could have been excessive movement on the rear exhaust mountings but disregarded it when I realised the speed of the knock was relative to the speed of the car, which is why I think its wheel related... Had another look around it today whilst cleaning it and visibly it looks fine.

MatBrown
24-12-2005, 19:13
I would say brakes binding/warped or wheel bearing as Bri said.

Mat.