PDA

View Full Version : No heat from air vents.

OliS
21-11-2005, 14:20
As per the title, the missus has no heating in her Williams, and I have been tasked with trying to sort it out. The garage we took it to six months ago presumed the heater matrix was blocked, so they ran water from a hose through the coolant system in an attempt to unblock it, but with no luck, still no heating.

Having done a search on this forum, am I right in saying that the lack of heating could be down to two things, blocked heater matrix or dodgy thermostat?

I am starting to think it may be the thermo, as the coolant temp gauge never stays in the same place it is always fluctuating up and down, between min and max.

What do you all reckon? How easy is it to replace the thermo? Guess it is a darn sight easier than taking the dash apart to get to the matrix :D

Plattsy
21-11-2005, 14:22
the matrix is under the scuttle panel i think mate.
The thermostat should be easy enough to change. drain a bit of coolent, then undo the hose to the thermo, unscrew from the head then whip it out and plop in a new one, might have to change the seal tho. the thermo is below the dizzy cap where the big hose connects to :)

Rich
21-11-2005, 14:25
the heater matrix is behind the dash!

richy
21-11-2005, 14:28
if the fan is working fine on all speeds etc but no heat then its more then likely to be the heater matrix, it is under the dash, bit of a pain to do

Tommo
21-11-2005, 14:58
Do you get any damp in the passenger footwell , musty smell or windows steaming up? If so then I would say heater matrix, quite labour intensive as it's a dashboard out job, but should be cheap enough if you are able to do it yourself?

OliS
21-11-2005, 15:21
No damp in passenger footwell, the car does smell a bit musty, and the windows do steam up, but I thought this was just normal for a car of this age...

The fan does work on all speeds, and there is a very slight difference in the temp of the air between cold and hot.

I am happy to do the work myself, anyone know of any guides or anything like that for replacing the heater matrix? I have done a search, but cannot find any info to help me!

Tommo
21-11-2005, 18:21
You could try Haynes mate, other than that I don't know. I'm sure somebody on here will have done it and able to help. The heater matrix went on my 306, but didn't do the work myself as it meant messing around with airbags etc. but you won't have that problem with the williams

BRUN
21-11-2005, 20:10
im doin the thermostat on mine tomorrow

it never gets properly hot, warm at best

bought a genuine thermostat as the one fitted now is a low temp one

i just hope that sorts it cos i dont want to do the matrix !!

OliS
22-11-2005, 09:14
Brun - Did you used to be on the RTOC forum, owning a GT Turbo powered Clio? Think there was someone with the same user name as you when I used to be on there with my 5 Turbo.

If you could let me know if changing the thermo cures your problem that would be much appreciated. Will order a Haynes off the net today!

Thanks again for the help guys! :D

FlamingMonkey
22-11-2005, 11:59
im doin the thermostat on mine tomorrow

it never gets properly hot, warm at best

bought a genuine thermostat as the one fitted now is a low temp one

i just hope that sorts it cos i dont want to do the matrix !!

Wouldn't of thought your low temp jobby will be the problem, Im running a low temp one and it runs toastie warm, even when my thermostat was fooked and the rad fan never came on the heaters still worked fandabi dozee.

Swervin_Mervin
22-11-2005, 12:03
I can confirm that the thermo has naff all to do with it. Mine now has a normal thermo rather than nothing at all, and the heat is at best lukewarm.

I suspect it's the matrix. However, our friends in Warrington are apparently very good at doing this quickly.

I'm just going to wear a coat! :P

BRUN
22-11-2005, 12:06
Brun - Did you used to be on the RTOC forum, owning a GT Turbo powered Clio? Think there was someone with the same user name as you when I used to be on there with my 5 Turbo.

If you could let me know if changing the thermo cures your problem that would be much appreciated. Will order a Haynes off the net today!

Thanks again for the help guys! :D

yup that was me

and im still going to change it anyway, as with this thermostat it constantly opens and closes until you have been driving for about 20 minutes, then it seems to settle down, it doesnt let the car warm up properly

summeh
22-11-2005, 14:25
heater matrix is a twat of a job, good luck, lol.

Coops
22-11-2005, 20:58
I can confirm that the thermo has naff all to do with it. Mine now has a normal thermo rather than nothing at all, and the heat is at best lukewarm.

I suspect it's the matrix. However, our friends in Warrington are apparently very good at doing this quickly.

in warrington you say?! that wud be where am at, whos knockin round here then wit valver?

Coops

Tommo
22-11-2005, 21:58
Gaz is from Warrington, has a Williams and a valver hybrid... :shock:

Coops
22-11-2005, 22:13
Gaz is from Warrington, has a Williams and a valver hybrid... :shock:

gaz? username?!!! take it he's handy with clio's then?!!! mite have to drop him a line!!

Coops

Tommo
22-11-2005, 22:17
His user name is Gaztwo

Swervin_Mervin
23-11-2005, 12:18

in warrington you say?! that wud be where am at, whos knockin round here then wit valver?

Coops

PM Jesus mate for "our trusty mechanic from Warrington."