PDA

View Full Version : Help, spongy brakes

smokey
15-11-2005, 16:28
Saturday after a lot of grief I finally managed to fit my new 4pots and braided lines and refitted my rear calipers.

I couldnt undo the unions which connect the front brake lines to the hoses, so I took my wire cutters to the lines and sniped both front pipes. I then had to trapse all over cambridge to buy the new copper line, flairing tool, a pipe cutter small enough and an EaziBleed kit.

Anyway £45 and 3 hours later I managed to get the new lines fitted to the Hybrid and hooked up the 4pots.

I filled the brake reservoir with Dot4 fluid and hooked up my easi bleed kit with the spare wheel.

I started bleeding the brakes with the passenger rear, passenger front, drivers rear then lastly drivers front.

Within literally seconds of opening the nipple the fluid was coming out without bubbles, and only the front 2 4 pots really spluttered to start with.

I take the car out for a test drive and the pedal goes all the way to the floor and feels really spongy.

Have you got any ideas what else i need to do? Do you reckon I need to bleed the brakes again now its been driven to see if there are any air locks?

If it wasnt so cold and dark when I get home from work (6pm ish) I would just do it tonight but dont want to goto all the hassle if its not going to work.

N.b the hassle is the fact I cannot get a jack under the car as its too low and our driveway is gravel so I cannot use the standard Renault jack and need to use a trolley jack for stability :oops:

Scott-16v!
15-11-2005, 16:31
i have the same trouble with the jack, try wiggling it in at an angle next to the rear wheel, then slide it along

smokey
15-11-2005, 16:45
I have tried it always mate, its not happening, It dont even get under the rear or the car let alone the front lol.

It is slammed about 70mm front and rear thou :twisted:

I currently have to try to get the standard renault one under and slowly jack it up on the gravel and try to get the trolley jack under before the renault jack sinks, then I have the trouble of where to jack it up as the standard renault jack gets in the way.

Lunner
15-11-2005, 17:49
Dear me so much hassle, just drive it up onto a couple of its of 2x7 and teh jack goes under fine.

I woudl guess you ahve no where near bled the system enough, i was going ages wiht mine, but then it was a normal 2 man kit.

Make sure you are feeding fuild back into the system rather then air

VIPERONE
15-11-2005, 18:54
buy another litre of the dot four, flush your old stuff, even tho its new thru, keep it going, and keep an eye on fluid levels in reserviour top up with new stuff, eventually the system will be 100% free of bubble, failing that opt for 2 man manual method

Willy 2
15-11-2005, 21:35
As the others have mentioned, you clearly have air still in the system.

When i have bled brakes before (and taking into account that the brake resovoir is located on the drivers side) I would have bled them in a different order

Furthest point away = rear passenger side
Next up = drivers rear
Next = passenger front
Finally = Driver front.

Not sure if this makes a dfference. Oh and i would go the tried and tested route of doing it with the help of another bloke. It could be that the pipe doesnt stay submerged in the brake fluid and your sucking up air too.

Hope that helps

smokey
16-11-2005, 13:28
I am doing half day today at work, so will try to give them another go this afternoon.

I bought 5ltrs of Dot4 so should have enough :wink:

Lunner
16-11-2005, 15:30
Makes a difference if you have ABS< as teh ABS unit is located on teh n/s, hence the order:

o/s/r
n/s/f
o/s/r
n/s/f

If you don't have ABS:

n/s/r
o/s/f
o/s/r
n/s/f

smokey
17-11-2005, 14:13
well I didnt even do them yesterday..... in the end i fitted williams calipers, discs, pads and turbines to the RT instead :roll:

RT is now running on 2 15" white Turbines on the front and 2 13" standard steelies on the rear lol

The Hybrid dont have ABS so will do them in the order you have stated Lunner. NSR, OSF, OSR, NSF

The RT was easy cause I just used mole grips on the brake hoses and removed the old calipers and refitted the new calipers without having to bleed the system :D