PDA

View Full Version : Williams 3 Subframe

bruny06
27-02-2021, 22:45
Hi all,

The subframe on my Williams 3 is bent to the point where it's not viable to repair. This means I need to get one. I really haven't been able to find a Williams subframe, yet, and trust me, I've searched for hours and hours. However, there seem to be quite a few Valver ones, which aren't as strong as the Williams ones. How bad, exactly, would it be to use a Valver subframe on a Williams?

Can a Valver subframe be reinforced to be just as strong as a Williams? Perhaps some material from the old subframe could be used and welded into the new one?

There is a local shop that could 3D scan my old one, replicate the good side into the bad one, and manufacture one, but that will cost way too much money.

Thanks,
Bruno

16v_paddy
28-02-2021, 00:50
Unless you're using the car for serious trackday use or rallying there's no issue with using a lower spec subframe. The reinforcing is only there for homologation purposes so that it could be allowed on the rally cars

It should be quite easy to reinforce it though as the difference is just an extra layer of sheet metal spot welded on in the area at the back of the subframe and I think near where the wishbones go on.