PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

bruny06
08-11-2020, 14:57
Hi all,

My recently purchased Williams 3 has a hissing noise coming from the steering wheel when doing a full lock. When taking the brakes apart, as it's also not braking properly, we detected an oil leak. There's a bit of oil around that area, where my dad's finger is, but especially on the bolt right above it. There's just oil coming from it. Could this be power steering fluid?

Many thanks,
Bruno Andrade

16v_paddy
09-11-2020, 12:59
The smell & colour will tell you what it is, power steering fluid will be red in colour & has a very different smell to engine oil but in that area it's more likely to be engine oil as there's lots of oil pump related stuff around there with various gaskets & seals as well as the sensor for the pressure gauge on the dash, you need to do a bit more digging to find the source of that leak

bruny06
09-11-2020, 13:27
The smell & colour will tell you what it is, power steering fluid will be red in colour & has a very different smell to engine oil but in that area it's more likely to be engine oil as there's lots of oil pump related stuff around there with various gaskets & seals as well as the sensor for the pressure gauge on the dash, you need to do a bit more digging to find the source of that leak

Well, crap. The power steering fluid is black...That would explain some things. It could still be engine oil, I suppose. I'll be replacing it ASAP.

northy
09-11-2020, 16:16
Power steering pumps are known for being noisey. A refurb or replacement will sort that. You can try fresh fluid to see if that helps.

bruny06
10-11-2020, 17:11
Power steering pumps are known for being noisey. A refurb or replacement will sort that. You can try fresh fluid to see if that helps.

I'm hoping fresh fluid will help. If not, I'll have to open my wallet.

16v_paddy
11-11-2020, 11:27
I'm hoping fresh fluid will help. If not, I'll have to open my wallet.

You own a Mk1 Clio, you need to get used to opening your wallet :lol: