PDA

View Full Version : Final drive mod

Wobba
23-10-2012, 10:07
I am considering getting a lightweight flywheel for my soon-to-be-repaired JC5 and Gripper diff. Also, I am considering having the final drive modified to give a lower ratio of gearing. I am in two minds however as normal daily driving will be more hectic and there are other negatives.

People with modified lower ratio boxes: Is it worth it?

I will have another car soonish and the Williams will be mainly fun and track days car.

Evogone
10-12-2012, 17:21
Get it done make a massive difference....5.2 only if purely trackday car.

16v_paddy
10-12-2012, 20:11
I'd say leave it alone & use the money for track days & proper tyres. Apart from that misfire, your car is good to go on track tomorrow. You've got to the stage now where spending large chunks of money are only gonna give you small gains that really aren't worth the hassle imo

Evogone
10-12-2012, 22:36
If you are going to get the box fully rebuilt as you say then its 450 quid for a new FD as the rebuild cost is a sunk cost that will make a big difference and reliability is totally uneffected....if you were not planning to take the box out and get it rebuilt then i wouldnt recommend it.

Wobba
10-12-2012, 22:57
But...but....mroe poewr :( And shiny stuff!

Wobba
10-12-2012, 22:58
If you are going to get the box fully rebuilt as you say then its 450 quid for a new FD as the rebuild cost is a sunk cost that will make a big difference and reliability is totally uneffected....if you were not planning to take the box out and get it rebuilt then i wouldnt recommend it.

Yea I am taking it out anyway :) :D :) :razz:

16v_paddy
11-12-2012, 00:25
But...but....mroe poewr :( And shiny stuff!

But the cars current abilites far far far outweigh those of it's driver & will do for quite some time :winkey:

northy
11-12-2012, 09:19
Lol - do it!