PDA

View Full Version : Subframe

L3WLM
09-06-2012, 18:11
Hello,

After some advise, how easy would it be to replace the front subframe ?? Also can you still buy these new ?

Also I removed a power boost valve a couple of week ago and the seals which I think holds the fuel pressure regulator on is leaking , where can I get new rubber o-rings ?

Cheers,
Andy

16v_paddy
09-06-2012, 21:15
The subframe can be a total ball ache if the captive nuts break, I'd recommend you get some new ones anyway and some new bolts in case you have to chop the old ones off - much easier to do that than fanny about with chopping down a 22 or 24mm spanner and trying to get it onto the broken nut and undoing it.

It's a lot of work to do it but it's nothing complicated. Get something to put underneath the subframe so it doesn't drop on you (it fcuking hurts) remove the downpipe, undo the track rod ends from the hub along with the wishbone ball joints. Then undo the nut holding the steering column onto the rack, undo the dogbone mount, disconnect the power steering hoses and then you'll be ready to undo the 4 bolts holding the subframe on.
Once you've done them you'll be left with the subframe still attached to the car by the 2 brackets connected to the wishbones & the chassis, undo the 13mm bolt holding them to the chassis and let whatever you've put down to stop the subframe from dropping do it's job.

Get a friend and another trolley jack to help refit the new subframe, jack it up into position and bolt the wishbone bracket back to the chassis. Then it's just a case of bolting it all back together

L3WLM
09-06-2012, 21:24
Cheers, thats really useful ! Think I'm going to attempt the job myself .

Anyone got any idea of costing for a new one ?

Thanks, Andy

elflamo
09-06-2012, 21:45
Am going to do this over the next few days as well. Renault quoted approx 700 EUR for a new subframe

L3WLM
09-06-2012, 22:05
Think I might get a second hand one . That's really expensive :roll:

16v_paddy
09-06-2012, 22:36
Get a valver one, will be lighter, get it welded up so it's stronger then get it blasted & powdercoated so it's minty fresh :wink:

elflamo
10-06-2012, 19:39
Woohaa, picked up a second hand one today with only 2500miles on it

Removed the old one today, found loosening the power steering connections the hardest part, as well as the fiddling with the brackets and what have you that are somehow attached to the subframe

Evogone
11-06-2012, 19:24
I have a Williams triple skin one for sale in the "Fore sale" section :D