PDA

View Full Version : High temp paint on engine block?

Red_Dash
13-05-2012, 08:57
I've read on a couple of forums that you don't actually need to use high temp paint on an engine block as it doesn't get nearly as hot as the exhaust manifold or brakes.
Someone also said that the block wouldn't get as hot as the exterior paintwork might on a very hot summers day and you never see exterior paint cracking or flaking unless it's exposed for a couple of decades to high heat in a hot climate.

So, before I go and paint my block, what's everyones experience of this?
Should I use high temp paint or will normal paint be OK?

diditno
13-05-2012, 09:16
Id go for high temp, just in case. If normal paint does crack you would need to do it again, so just paint it once with the high temp stuff. May be overkill but better safe than sorry. But tbh id touch the ouside of a car on a hot day but sod sticking he same hand on a hot engine.

Coops
13-05-2012, 11:32
i've got some engine enamel from fleabay for like a fiver, i'll let you know how it goes

i'm more concerned about the jetwash and gunk degreaser affecting the finish rather than the heat so i'm hoping the enamel will be more hard wearing

backup plan is to repaint in good old hammerite smooth ;-)

Red_Dash
15-05-2012, 22:02
Thanks for all the advice :)

In the end I prepped the surface of the block as best as possible e.g. Removed all loose rust, lightly scuffed the surface and then degreased. Unfortunately, I wanted a satin finish but all the coatings I found wanted a rust free surface before application (not particularly realistic on an engine block with lots of little nooks and crannys). So, I gave a couple of light coats of 600 deg resistant matt black (grey?!?) Hammerite to keep the rust at bay and then a couple of light coats of PJ1 high temp satin black case paint. I didn't want a gloss finsh because the block isn't the prettiest of bits of metal and gloss would just highlight the imperfections too much. I also didn't want a matt finish because I wanted just a slight sheen.

I'm really pleased with the results!

Now all I need to do is to clean the sump, change the cambelt and water pump etc...and get the rest of the engine back together... Easy! :D

I also need to get it on my new engine stand :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Red_Dash/Public/2012-05-07160316.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Red_Dash/Public/2012-05-07160351.jpg