PDA

View Full Version : Re. Exhaust Fitment - What's the best?

MG1980
12-04-2012, 15:23
At the moment I have a Scorpion centre back and decat on the Willy. I'm not totally happy with the fitment as the wider bore means that I can't put a bracket on the first curve from the back box on the way to the decat. If you do, it just ends up clattering around on the underside of the car. Instead all I have is a male / female sleeve slotted together with a bit of sealant and it sounds as though it's blowing a bit of air at this point on the exhaust.

Now option 1 is just to weld it up..... Thoughts please.

Option 2 is move to another centre back system - Mongoose, Magnex, Powerflow etc. Everything else is pretty much standard, but I like a bit of a rasp, so going bac to standard would be my second choice.

Which fits the best and allows the fitment of the bracket without metal on metal clanging?

Thoughts on a postcard.... :?

diditno
12-04-2012, 19:10
I'd go back to standard, that's what I'm thinking of doing. As I have a similar issue

Wobba
15-04-2012, 11:36
Exhaust adjustment is a fine art :)

Try bending the exhaust hangers, and using non standard exhaust mounting. You can test positions out with cable ties (not on the hot exhaust though they will only melt).

Lifting the exhaust at one point further along, or dropping it lower, will affect other areas along the exhausts route.

Once you master a Mongoose system and stop it knocking, you'll be a master exhaust adjuster like me.

Wobba
15-04-2012, 11:43
Instead all I have is a male / female sleeve slotted together with a bit of sealant and it sounds as though it's blowing a bit of air at this point on the exhaust.

For a start, you need an exhaust clamp on this part, or it will just come loose, or possibly pull apart completely.

If what you are saying is that if you clamp it the clamp hits stuff...there are other options:

Mikalor clamp is the way I would go:

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/Mikalor_clamp6060.JPG

Get the right size for exhaust, job done.

MG1980
15-04-2012, 12:21
Great advice. Thanks Wobbs. What's the difference with a Mikalor clamp? Take it just much slimmer?

Wobba
15-04-2012, 18:46
Great advice. Thanks Wobbs. What's the difference with a Mikalor clamp? Take it just much slimmer?

Get the stainless steel one. They are a lot slimmer that those hefty OE clamps. I use them on my Mongoose and Oreca Grp N exhausts. They are also easier to do up! Simple 10mm socket and ratchet job. :)

MG1980
15-04-2012, 19:04
Thanks mate. Perfect. What's the id for your Mongoose? Presume similar bore to the Scorpion.

Wobba
16-04-2012, 11:28
I can't remember exactly.

I think the Mongoose is 2.25" ID. Quite a few are 2". The Oreca is 2.5" (63mm).

will.i.am.s2
18-04-2012, 18:14
I had a problem similar with my scorpion decat and centre section. What i did was get a catalyst fitting kit for a clio from a motor factors. It came with 4 new bolts and 2 thick gaskets, i used a bit of exhaust gasket sealer and tightened it all to hell with it all of the car. Id had the exhaust of the car 5 times in a year trying to solve the damn blowing from there and this simple little kit @£6 solved it for good i hope!

will.i.am.s2
18-04-2012, 18:20
I read that a bit wrong there thought you meant the decat was blowing :D

I got pissed with my scorpion system and now have the scorpion decat, oem centre section with the flange cut off mated upto a magnex backbox with a detachable elbow. All fits perfectly and noticably goes alot better /sounds nicer than with the full scorpion.

2 live
19-04-2012, 20:30
powerflow. job done. nice sound, mo powerloss, garaunteed for life, no knockin.

bass_direct
20-04-2012, 00:39

Once you master a Mongoose system and stop it knocking, you'll be a master exhaust adjuster like me.

Definately a fine art! I recently fitted another Mongoose to the orange car and taking time to adjust to it now means I have absolutely no knocking at all and it's brilliant!

Wobba
20-04-2012, 09:53

Definately a fine art! I recently fitted another Mongoose to the orange car and taking time to adjust to it now means I have absolutely no knocking at all and it's brilliant!

Hehe awesome! The one I have had brackets in the wrong place, so I had to chop one off and mod a couple of othres, sorted now though but took ages :)

MG1980
04-06-2012, 19:38

Hehe awesome! The one I have had brackets in the wrong place, so I had to chop one off and mod a couple of othres, sorted now though but took ages :)

Wobba... You are a legend. Re-sealed the exhaust and bolted on a Mikalor clamp this weekend! Perfect fit, no rattle and no blowing!

northy
04-06-2012, 21:13
Dont over tighten those Mikalor clamps. They strip very easily!!!!

MG1980
04-06-2012, 21:37
Dont over tighten those Mikalor clamps. They strip very easily!!!!

Don't worry, I bought three! Got some spares in my glovebox for the trip to Le Mans!