PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/driveshafs issue

diditno
10-04-2012, 21:50
Just fitted a new engine/gearbox to the willy 2. And ive got a grumbling noise when moving. Seems to be ither driveshaft or diff or gearbox related. Any one had this. It's not a wheel bearing, but being new driveshafts and gearbox it could be ither. Anyone else had this sort of issue? Any ideas?

Wobba
10-04-2012, 22:11
Are you sure it's a Williams driveshaft, not a Valver?

Wobba
10-04-2012, 22:12
And how new is the CV joint?

diditno
10-04-2012, 22:20
Don't know tbh. It's a willy driveshaft so not thatissue. I've sorted another one just have to pick it up. Could a driveshaft give that sort of rumbling with out any sort of knocking?.

Wobba
10-04-2012, 22:38
Tbh there's too many variables to say. I've had a weird nearside shaft issue like that before, hard to say what it was...I changed most things and it went away.

Check all your engine and box mounts, make sure you have put the extra Williams gearbox bar that goes from the dogbone back on. Make sure the shaft nut is on right and tight.

Make sure the wheels/tyres are not touching anything under the arch.

I think if its pushed to far into the diff, the tripod joint can make noises.

Of course, gearboxes themselves can be a bit noisy...you sure it's got lubricant in? :)

diditno
10-04-2012, 23:00
Yup, gearbox is oiled, everythings things tight, Dont have that other stabiliser bar, but never have had. I think I'll try another driveshaft and see what happens, then if no difference I'll change gearboxes. The sound itself is more of a grumble or a slight sound like there something metally is catching the driveshaft. Everything's clear of everything else, so I'm just hoping a driveshaft will fix it. Rather than fitting another box.

Wobba
10-04-2012, 23:14
Yea, good luck. Do you notice it's any different when cornering?

diditno
10-04-2012, 23:28
No. Seems constant when noving. Ill try the reverse turning thing tommorrow to see
if theres any movement.