PDA

View Full Version : Stereo advice

Ben Nichols 1979
09-04-2012, 20:33
Evening chaps

I nneed to upgrade my stereo. I am NOT a chav but ist my everyday driver and I can't bear local radio any longer or that drivvle spouted from most BBC radio "jockies".

I want to keep the centre console looking as original as possible but nneed to connect my iPod. I don't want a stereo that looks like Blackpool Illuminations either. My main issue is I want to retain the column controller as its so useful.

Also the speakers are crap, I don't want 6x9's cut into the parcel shelf either. Does anyone know anyone know of any decent (sensibly priced) direct replacement speakers?

Any ideas on a make and model of stereo too?

Thanks

Ben

diditno
09-04-2012, 20:54
I have a low end alpine unit. Was £130. Illuminates in orange, so matches the dash and takes my iPod, mp3 the usual stuff. Can run amps if needed. And really good sound quality. I'll have a look later and try and get a model number

andyleep
09-04-2012, 21:08
I can get you some brand new clarion speakers which fit perfectly in the rear of the clio. Not going to give you loud music as such, but decent quality. PM me if interested

16v_paddy
09-04-2012, 21:36
The illumination thing shouldn't be an issue, especially if you intend to retain the stalk controls, just close the flap :wink:

Autoleads do an adapter that lets you keep the use of the stalk controls but it doesn't work with quite a few head units for example any Alpine head unit made from 2007 onwards

will.i.am.s2
09-04-2012, 22:14
Ive got a low end kenwood in mine. Not to sure of the model but its all black with purple glass which is a nice discreet head unit with an Mp3 jack on the front. Sound quality is as good as any higher end kenwoods ive owned, i rate them quite highly :) Cant confirm if they work with the oem controls.

Ive been meaning to change my speakers for a year now as its 2 sony in the front and 2 ripspeeds in the rear, all oem sized and hidden but sound is average. From experience of small speakers alpine or kenwood are usualy the best bet.

If your after some subtle bass id recomend a vibe cbr10 sub as they are small, lightweight and very impressive in any sized car. Also easy to remove with a vibe quick connectoin kit.

Would also like to say im not a chav :D Just appreciate top sound quality.