PDA

View Full Version : Gear box problem - I think????!!!!

Ben Nichols 1979
12-03-2012, 11:07
Hi Chaps

My Willy 3 is going great guns, daily driver and a 350 mile blast to Newmarket over the weekend but alas there seems to be a very slight (I hope!) issue!

When cruising above 60 ish mph I get a buzzing noise when I lift off the trottle, if I just rest my foot there is no noise. If I knock her out of gear there is no noise. The other thing that makes me think its the box is that when coming to a stop there is a clunking noise for the last 6-12 ft - just 3-4 gentle thuds.

Also I need a bit of advice on a cambelt I have just has changed. It makes a slight ticking noise on tick over - only done it since the belt was fitted. It sounds like its the print on the belt rubbing on the pulley but surely not?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Coops
12-03-2012, 16:14
when you say buzzing does it sound like its coming from the gearbox or from inside the car? heard of interference from dodgy wiring causing an electrical hum/buzz before on certain loads and revs

and the ticking noise, again, is it actually coming from cambelt area? I top end ticking is usually a sticky hydraulic tappet in the head

Ben Nichols 1979
12-03-2012, 17:14
Hi Coops

Thanks for the reply. The buzzing noise definitely sounds like its coming from the engine bay. I thought it sounded like a bit of loose trim vibrating (just had a front end respray) but don't think it is.

A hydraulic tappet sounds expensive............ is it? How do I tell whether its a tappet or something else?

Sorry to sound thick - I am! :oops:

Ben

Wobba
13-03-2012, 11:40
Wont be tappets at that speed.

jock
13-03-2012, 14:26
Just a thought about the thud when you come to a stop. There is a rear gearbox dogbone mount that when the rubber perishes will thud or clunk as the engine moves back and forward. It happens when you lift off, boot it and change gear etc. When really worn it sounds/is quite violent.

Ben Nichols 1979
16-03-2012, 16:48
Thanks Jock

Where do I get the rubber bit from? Is it easy to fit?

Maybe I am getting paranoid but I am now hearing a mechanical whirring noise from the front offside corner (I think) when pulling away in the morning as though two gears aren't meshed. Could be the drive shaft or maybe the gearbox.

Does anyone know if the box can be rebuilt at a sensible price or if anyone does them on an exchange basis (at a sensible price!) as it may be the best route to eradicate any issues from the gearbox.

Thanks

Ben

Wobba
16-03-2012, 17:17
Lower mount / dogbone can be had from GSF I think.

Coops
16-03-2012, 17:23
hearing a mechanical whirring noise from the front offside corner (I think) when pulling away in the morning as though two gears aren't meshed.

the gearbox is on the nearside, not the offside fella, passenger side.

16v_paddy
16-03-2012, 20:28
Lower mount / dogbone can be had from GSF I think.

Just get a powerflex bush & fit it to the mount you already have as they're much cheaper than a whole new mount now :wink: