PDA

View Full Version : Cams, Pulleys et al...

MG1980
27-12-2011, 20:36
Bit of advice needed please chaps. Next stage for me is cams, pulleys, bigger injectors (if required), which I'm hoping I will sort end of January (payday!)

I am looking for a bit more power and I love the sound of them!

I'm looking for a recommendation of which manufacturer, profile and exactly the bits needed - cams, pulleys etc. an idea of cost (including fitting) would also be great. I've budgeted a grand for the lot, but I'd rather not cut corners. Also, does it make sense to reprofile existing cams or buy new?

If anyone has the required parts for sale, then open to offers!!

Thanks

16v_paddy
27-12-2011, 20:59
sideways danny is the man you need to talk to :wink:

MG1980
27-12-2011, 21:05
sideways danny is the man you need to talk to :wink:

Thanks buddy. I'll trade him for one of my Lego Williams'!!

2 live
28-12-2011, 15:20
budget might be a tad small to get it done mate. cams n pullies, plus remap, plus fitting for a bag o sand?? easy enough to DIY and then get it mapped tbh. and might be better on the budget. ;)

MG1980
28-12-2011, 15:53
budget might be a tad small to get it done mate. cams n pullies, plus remap, plus fitting for a bag o sand?? easy enough to DIY and then get it mapped tbh. and might be better on the budget. ;)

Thanks buddy. I've set aside a couple of hundred for mapping sep. so that doesn't need to come out of the grand. Can you let me know exactly what parts I need to uprate and let me know if you would recommend any specific cams. That way I may be able to pick up some used parts and some new and pay someone to fit it. Oily bits make me nervous. I'd rather pay a pro!!

2 live
29-12-2011, 14:26
well that would depend on what you want really. if your going a bit mental, c&b will be what you want, but then youl need to grind out bits of the cam carriers for the lobes to clear. but thats for high end fitment. if its just a bit more bhp/lb/ft your after. i cant really recommend any. iv used kent rn2002s and 2003s in my 2, and a mixture of them both in 1. but the kent cams are shite. i wouldnt touch them again with a barge pole. stay well clear. the kent pullies arent much better either. i now have catcams pullies, which are loads better. most on here use the catcams cams too. but there are other manufacturers, schrick, crane, piper etc etc etc. the choice is........as they say........yours.

2 live
29-12-2011, 14:28
and as for 'other' bits that need upgrading. well, again, that would depend on what cams you use. mine have been fine on std injectors. thats with both 260 and 270 deg cams, and both have been fine with the followers. but apparently, go much wilder and you need injectors, and depending how much wilder you go you would benefit from solid lifters too.

sideways danny
29-12-2011, 15:38
piper pulleys or cat pulleys both work well, piper are best value really. Avoid Kent as said, they fall to pieces

Entry level options:
Piper 270s are your basic starting point. Work with standard injectors so just need dialing in and a map to suit.

Cat 225's are relatively similar, very good for a near standard engine

More extreme: bigger injectors needed for all
Piper 285s, much more aggressive, great power and torque spread. Idle is quite compromised but not to the point it's unusable.

Cat 208s, great torque spread, less peaky power

Balls to the wall
Cat 213's are WILD. I dont believe they'll work on the standard ECU. Brilliant for throttle bodies too if you upgrade later

There's loads of others that are around too, but those are the main ones I consider for various uses

zmaster2k
29-12-2011, 17:27
Run piper pullies and Kent cams (rn2002) far from "shite" lol suit me quite well I have a perfect idle a good spread of power and torque

MG1980
29-12-2011, 18:27
Awesome advice. Thanks chaps. So if I go for something a bit more gentle, we are talking just cams, pulleys and map? I already have a piper panel, with decat and Scorpion centre back. I was hoping to achieve 175bhp, more usable power delivery and a bit more raspy noise! Should that suffice? Thanks chaps. If I ever bump in to you at a meet or Le Mans next year (nudge nudge) I owe you beers!!!

sideways danny
29-12-2011, 21:42
I wouldn't focus so much on the power figure, and more on how it behaves through the revs.

If you plan to go further then push the limits a little to give yourself a bit of a future proof margin. I'd be swaying towards Piper 285s

zmaster2k
30-12-2011, 00:12
If I were to do it all again I'd go with 285's myself

2 live
30-12-2011, 00:36
the kents were redesigned after an epic failure on mine. but they still wouldnt accept their original design was flawed. watch out for the thrust washer disentegrating on the pulley end of the cam. it WILL destroy your head if its one of the older versions. garaunteed. they fail big time at high revs and its bye bye top end.

MG1980
30-12-2011, 01:03
I wouldn't focus so much on the power figure, and more on how it behaves through the revs.

If you plan to go further then push the limits a little to give yourself a bit of a future proof margin. I'd be swaying towards Piper 285s

Thanks buddy. Think that's where I'm headed. Where will the car idle though? Take it quite high?

2 live
30-12-2011, 02:17
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_49fGKZvpg&list=UUzQwoGkm4_NEHsFJi8OpP2Q&index=21&feature=plcp

kent rn2002s.

kent rn2003s, admittedly with bodies, but the tickover was same without ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKh7TZ7GlyU&list=UUzQwoGkm4_NEHsFJi8OpP2Q&index=23&feature=plcp