PDA

View Full Version : Info needed for making Valver suspension fit the Williams

will.i.am.s2
13-11-2011, 19:37
Evening all,

Ive mentioned on here before about making some front shocks of a valver fit on to my williams. I understand if i just put them on i will get excessive camber which is fair enough. So i was thinking more along the lines of turning the strut bolt holes into slots like most coilovers for the williams seem to be like? Has anyone got any info / advice / tips on this from previous experience etc.

Normaly i wouldnt bother but i bought a full set of Koni adjustable shocks of a valver so it would be a shame to not try to get them on as ive got the backs on and they are great :)

This is the williams suspension....

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/richardswain21/Photo0394.jpg

And the valver konis (which need repainting :D )....

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg300/richardswain21/Photo0397.jpg

dkrevs
13-11-2011, 20:24
I have a powerty spec(same fitment as Valver) shocks on my Widetrack'd RT and I have a sloted lower shock hole inwards. But this isn't really a wise idea as I found out later. This certainly cures the exsessive camber but it affects the shock mounting angle. This results in quickly worn suspension top mounts.
Solid top mounts would probably cure the thing. I think other solid top mounts would work too. But becareful if buying Ktec ones or any else that are made for Mk2, because suspension turret is a little diferent on Mk2, IIRC. The hole is the same tho. AST ones should work ok.

Hope this helps,

David

will.i.am.s2
14-11-2011, 22:41
Thanks David thats a big help mate 8) looks like solid top mounts might be the way forward then, just been looking at the bolt holes on these...

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1373&appid=1

Looks like thats the route to go to make them fit properly, the top hole has been slightly extended aswell as the bottom...if its good enough for K-tec to remanufacture valver coilovers(which they blatently have if you look at the valver coilies) then its good enough for me :twisted:

Lunner
15-11-2011, 08:21
I just run valver shocks on a williams sub frame, sticks great in the corners, just have to fight it a little bit to keep it in a straight line down the bumpy lanes

will.i.am.s2
16-11-2011, 22:28
I dont take it down to many bumpy roads so would be fine there :) Will just cut slots and see how it goes, if i like the uprated suspension on it i will just order some avo's after xmas to save messing about with top mounts.

cliorod
17-11-2011, 17:32
Will just cut slots and see how it goes,

When you have cut the slots,get some decent "thick" washers made 2/3mm thick,with a size hole ... diameter of the bolt retaining the strut.
Set the camber as you want it,tightened the bolts up and then tig/mig weld the washers to the strut .. only needs a couple of decent tacks.
I did this on a set of Valver struts for my Williams rally car ... lasted until I put some Williams Bilsteins on it ... sold off to a bloke who is still using them ... saves on camber bolts etc etc.
Any machine shop can make the washers for a few quid .... If you want I could get you some made .... just let me know.
Rod

16v_paddy
17-11-2011, 22:42
Any machine shop can make the washers for a few quid .... If you want I could get you some made .... just let me know.
Rod

Group buy? I'd have some :D

cliorod
18-11-2011, 01:54
Group buy? I'd have some

Not a problem,to be quite honest all you need is some quality steel EN45 / EN 50 ,I think the bolts are 12mm ~~ so a 12mm reamer and a centre lathe,could probably make these in about 5mins each lol.I'd be happy to sort them out ... just need a dimension of the diameter ~~ I aint got a valver to measure from.
Easy way would be for someone to slot the hole,get the camber set and then measure from the centre of the bolt,to the edge of the strut ~~~ where that small lip is
Rod

will.i.am.s2
20-11-2011, 15:26
Will just cut slots and see how it goes,

When you have cut the slots,get some decent "thick" washers made 2/3mm thick,with a size hole ... diameter of the bolt retaining the strut.
Set the camber as you want it,tightened the bolts up and then tig/mig weld the washers to the strut .. only needs a couple of decent tacks.
I did this on a set of Valver struts for my Williams rally car ... lasted until I put some Williams Bilsteins on it ... sold off to a bloke who is still using them ... saves on camber bolts etc etc.
Rod

Thanks Rod thats some useful info there mate. If i need any washers made up i will get in contact with you...Was thinking along them lines myself to stop the strut moving around, was thinking along the lines of setting the correct camber then tacking in some metal plates into the slot but you idea sounds better to me(and easier) :)

Did you cut a slot on both the holes or just the bottom hole?

MatBrown
20-11-2011, 17:06
It's actually the top hole that is in a different position.

will.i.am.s2
20-11-2011, 17:14
Ah thats interesting.

Its going to be a bit hard to know what needs doing exactly until i can get all the measurments of the stock williams shocks. Could do with picking a couple of knackered ones up to work with to save ripping my car apart :)