PDA

View Full Version : ENGINE CONVERTION??

TJ Dizzy
21-09-2011, 20:27
hi guys

Just on the scout at the moment for a williams as iv had 2 in the past and loved them..But this time im looking to work on an engine convertion with a budget or to turbo the excisting engine soo really im just wouldering if any of you gents could give some advise on which engines would be simplist to swap ie. 172/182/197..Megan 225..or any othere u may surgest?

ATB
TJ

16v_paddy
22-09-2011, 05:54
The simplest to convert to will be the F4R from the 172/182 mainly because it's been done quite a few times & there's plenty of information about on various forums and the gearboxes from the mk1's fit them.

The 197/meggy engines are also F4's but the blocks are different to the earlier ones so making the gearboxes from them fit is the tricky part. I can only think of 1 such conversion, lad on c16v has fitted a megane 225 lump to his williams but that's still an ongoing build project so not finished yet.
The only other 1 I can think of is Andyrg's but he got an earlier F4R from the 172/182 & fitted the internals & turbo gubbins from a megane 225 into his valver

A common obstacle to overcome with these conversions into the mk1 is getting a downpipe made to fit the manifold & rest of the exhaust as the ones from the donor cars wont fit as they go over the top of the subframe where as on the mk1 it needs to go underneath it

TJ Dizzy
23-09-2011, 20:41
Ok cheers paddy much appricated for all the info u have supplied..as im sure you can gather when it comes to engines im lost lol so where would i start with putting a 172 engine in would i need to fab new mounts for the engine wiring lume ect? i surpose there will be a few who read this and think idiot but like i said engines arnt my strong point on the othere hand if u want your house plastering gimmi a shout lol

Cheers
TJ

16v_paddy
24-09-2011, 08:49
The 172 engine is a straight forward thing to fit, it's getting it running that's the tricky part.
Engine mount wise, for the drivers side you use the 172 mount and if you decide to use a gearbox from from a mk1 you don't need any different ones :wink: If you use a mk2 gearbox you need to use the gearbox mount from that and get a mk2 battery tray, the standard mk1 dogbone mount at the rear can be used without any problems iirc

If you search for f0xy & whiteley in the projects section there's tons & tons of info on the conversion

Markic
24-09-2011, 08:54
Is there really a gain on 162 engine compared to f7r?
I mean, is it worth to swap if you have healty f7r?

Markic
24-09-2011, 08:57
I meant 172 engine. Fat fingers and gayphone.

16v_paddy
24-09-2011, 09:48
Oh, I thought that was a dig at the actual power in bhp from the F4 lump :lol:

To answer your question, I've got no idea, besides I'm an F7P fan :P

sideways danny
24-09-2011, 11:38

tuning potential is probably the biggest benefit. The aftermarket isn't really supporting the F7 properly as noone is spending on them.

Throttle body manifolds are a prime example. Cahdil are the only manufacturer, and will produce them in their own sweet time. If someone wants one, they have to wait for upto 3 months. I found a UK manufacturer that will produce a better quality item, but tooling up for it (with no actual end product at this point) would cost over £2000 alone. Then you have to make batches of 5-10 at a time.........Thats about 5 years worth at the rate they sell. So once again, the F7 falls behind sadly

schakal
24-09-2011, 13:47
What about the performance ,torque differences in between the
2 engines as STANDARD ?

Will the untouched F4R feel as gutless as the standard F7R running
in my car ?