PDA

View Full Version : Rear foot brake MOT failure

schakal
02-08-2011, 08:46
I am currently a pair of rear brakes away from a fresh MOT ticket on my Renault 19 16v . The handbrake efficeny is fine its the footbrake not as good.
I have been told by the mot tester that the bias valve is moving freely (which was a little seized the year before)

I have taken both caliper carriers out ,cleaned everything off rust moved pistons in and out making sure they are all nice and clean ,also changed drivers side caliper with one from a clio 172 in much better condition and bled the thing nicely . but still not good enough apparently :?

As the handbrake is fine and the footbrake is not happening as good ,it tells me the bias valve might be in fault . any ideas people ?

fabulicious
02-08-2011, 08:57
Both you and the tester have ghey feet? :lol:

If i'm not mistaken the handbrake cables bypass the bias valve as they are connected directly to the calipers. So must be the valve internals or the positioning of the lever on the bias valve.
Which method did you use to bleed the system?

sideways danny
02-08-2011, 10:05
the insides of the valve could be blocked up if the mechanism is moving freely. mine was a real bitch to make do anything

schakal
02-08-2011, 10:41
the insides of the valve could be blocked up if the mechanism is moving freely. mine was a real bitch to make do anything

thats what i was worried off :(
Anything i can try on the valve before having to take the bastard thing out?

I have got the passenger side caliper from the 172 as well which i will be
chucking on there shortly to match as both my 20 year old rear calipers had snapped bleed nipples and have been bleeding them through the brake union last couple of years :roll:

@ fabulicious ; i have a one man kit for bleeding the bleeding brakes :D Its a clear pipe with a one way valve at the end ,works perfect if there are bleed nipples on your calipers .
If not i make friends with someone/anyone :shock: and bleed them through the union by his/her help

MAXIBOY
02-08-2011, 11:15
strip the bias valve and rebuild it or get a new one for around £30 iirc

schakal
02-08-2011, 11:20

From where do you get a new one for £30 mate ??

fabulicious
02-08-2011, 11:43
from very possibly where i was this morning..reno.

which leads me onto that other issue we have with the rev sticking when you go full throttle. do you remember it when you told me it wasnt the speedo cable? Well you were right.
They put the clip on mine this morning and it reported no errors.

You were gonna try another throttle body werent you..did you get around to that?

For me I'm gonna have to get my head around using the multimeter to measure the TPS position. they wanted 150 quid to set that up which I reckon is in position anyhow but it may just be a fraction out.

So the question I have for you guru's..does the throttle body open in 2 stages and if it does, is it perhaps at the second stage of opening that the sensor is freaking out?

jock
02-08-2011, 12:46

I would love to know more about rebuilding or £30 new ones. . . . ! ? ! I was told Renault stopped listing them and I eventually tracked one down online and it was over £100 and one side was blocked or stuck and I could not bleed one circuit so had to take it of and spent ages cleaning rust and freeing off the old one so i could put it back on. It was a nightmare trying to get all 4 pipes re connected without muck falling in the holes and stressing them and bolt it back on! Had to use the rod and tension springs off the new one as old were broken and still unsure if its set right? ! Not sure how I can free off the new one? But tried blowing through both sides with the flap in all positions and fluid only moves in one side. FRUSTRATING !

From where do you get a new one for £30 mate ??[/quoten! Had to use the rod and tension springs off the new one as old were broken and still unsure if its set right? ! Not sure how I can free off the new one? But tried blowing through both sides with the flap in all positions and fluid only moves in one side. FRUSTRATING !

From where do you get a new one for £30 mate ??

]

MAXIBOY
03-08-2011, 18:29
will check with my supplier used to do them for 30 new or seals for 12 quid..

will check over the weekend..

schakal
04-08-2011, 19:53
Mot passed today after fitting the 2nd 172 caliper and bleeding it like a nun`s ...... punani :D

The valve seems to be in perfect working order moving in and out freely,i will invest on braking system for the next mot though .