PDA

View Full Version : F7p engine advice

James5
04-07-2011, 08:19
Morning Peep's, as some of you may know I have done an F7p turbo into an R5 GTT. Now I have had a few problems along the way and the engine is finally back together and I have started the car.

Now my concern is that the car is smoking blue smoke quiet heavily, I have done comp test and am seeing 140-150psi across the bores, but as you look down the bores they have a thin layer of oil across them this to me is the cause of the smoke, now this is the 2nd head I have put on the car and it came of a running R19 phase 1 16v that a friend broke.

I have removed the turbo to inlet plenium pipes to check for oil and there is none. The car idles perfectly and sounds nice it's just a smoke machine :( the smoke is definatly coming from the engine itself and not the turbo.

Any idea's or things for me to do as I really don't want to have to strip it all down again.

James5
04-07-2011, 08:25
The only things I can think it can be is turbo but no oil in rear of turbo and no oil in the compressor outlet of the turbo and play in shaft is normal amount, the head valve guides although this is a 2nd head the 1st head did the same, or I am thinking the engine may have suffered some bore wash but the compression is good so not sure on that one. Or H/G hasn't sealed properly causing the oil into the bores but then compression is good. I am reall stuck and confused here and need some advice / help

James5
04-07-2011, 08:42
My thought’s so far –

My first thought was turbo so I checked turbo but checks proved good for turbo no oil in rear of turbo, no oil in the compressor inlet and outlets to and from the turbo, the turbo has the normal play in shaft.

Due to the OK compression results that must mean this is head related. So can I assume that the valve guides guides have gone and are causing oil to leak into the bores. This is the 2nd head the 1st head did the same thing and smoked also which makes me think I have 2 dodgey cylinder heads.

The only thing I haven’t changed in this build is the block as this engine was a purchased 2nd hand as a running F7p turbo conversion :( I have obtained a 2nd block as a last case of rip it all apart and start again. I am thinking the engine may have suffered some bore wash but the compression is good so not sure on that one. Or H/G hasn't sealed properly causing the oil into the bores but then again compression is good so I would assume it would have showed.

I will add I have not lost any coolant and there is no Mayo mixing in the cam cover or in the header tank.

I am really stuck and confused here and need some advice / help

volymmannen
04-07-2011, 09:31
perhaps oilrings don't do there work, how does it work on a turbo car with pressure in the crankcase, if you connect it to inlet manifold you get boost there too ??? how is it on your car?

dkrevs
04-07-2011, 09:33
Maybe oil seals on the R19 16V head that you bought are FUBAR'd. That could be reason for for blue smoke(oil burning).

James5
04-07-2011, 10:06
perhaps oilrings don't do there work, how does it work on a turbo car with pressure in the crankcase, if you connect it to inlet manifold you get boost there too ??? how is it on your car?

I have been thinking a comp test will only show compression rings are ok so as this is the 2nd head with the same symptoms I have also been thinking maybe the oil rings are just not selaing properly. With ref to the crankcase I one of the ports to the inlet and a have a one way valve in place facing the correct way which only allows the vapours out of the head into the inlet but not back into the head. The other bigger crankcase / cam cover breather goes to a filter.

Maybe oil seals on the R19 16V head that you bought are FUBAR'd. That could be reason for for blue smoke(oil burning).

I am thinking the head is ok purley down to the fact it I saw the original car it came of running and driving without fault as it was a friends car and I stripped the car with my mate after it was running as it was purley purchased for parts. I am thinking it's block related as it's the only thing I haven't changed.
Good thing is I have got the spare block from that r19 16v and the bores have fantastic hone marks on them, no lip on the bore either, I am going to get this spare block re-honed to be on the safe side.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get oil rings to work properly? or os there just no hope now.

dkrevs
04-07-2011, 14:02

I am thinking the head is ok purley down to the fact it I saw the original car it came of running and driving without fault as it was a friends car and I stripped the car with my mate after it was running as it was purley purchased for parts. I am thinking it's block related as it's the only thing I haven't changed.
Good thing is I have got the spare block from that r19 16v and the bores have fantastic hone marks on them, no lip on the bore either, I am going to get this spare block re-honed to be on the safe side.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get oil rings to work properly? or os there just no hope now.

Did you push it hard when it was still running(and I mean R19)? If not that couldn't really indicate if engine was burning oil or not.
It may be block but if you have a good compression then I really don't know what else it could be.
Is this engine mapped?

James5
04-07-2011, 15:10

Did you push it hard when it was still running(and I mean R19)? If not that couldn't really indicate if engine was burning oil or not.
It may be block but if you have a good compression then I really don't know what else it could be.
Is this engine mapped?

Hmm we didn't really push it hard, so your thinking it's head related, I have heard that a comp test will show good compression but it will not show faulty oil scrapper ring's.

Yeah engine is running a fashchips High boost chip so yes has a map, afr's are fine for idle.

Suppose what ever it is engine is coming apart yet again :(

dkrevs
04-07-2011, 16:20
Yeah, I suppose it's down to head oil seals or scrapper rings.
Didn't you put new rings when you rebuild this engine?

cliokiz
04-07-2011, 17:14
If you've replaced the head with a known good head then I find it really unlikely that you've got two ****ed heads. In fact I'd be prepared to bet that the previous head is fine also.

If the stem seals were worn I don't think it'd smoke much on idle, I think you should be focusing more on the bottom end. How are the piston rings?

I'm no expert by any means, just talking from experience.

James5
04-07-2011, 22:16
If you've replaced the head with a known good head then I find it really unlikely that you've got two f**ked heads. In fact I'd be prepared to bet that the previous head is fine also.

If the stem seals were worn I don't think it'd smoke much on idle, I think you should be focusing more on the bottom end. How are the piston rings?

I'm no expert by any means, just talking from experience.

Well compression is good as per the comp results, and piston number 3 has brand new rings in it, didn't touch the other's though as compression was good only done number 3 this was originally very low @ 60psi :( so whipped it out and replaced the rings and honed the bore.

I am still thinking the block is no good and only good for oversizeing