PDA

View Full Version : lsd

hamloin
17-06-2011, 17:25
has any one on here got a plate lsd, what are your experiences

Wobba
17-06-2011, 20:59
I have a Gripper LSD in my JC5. It is set on the minimal level of preload for fast road use. It helps in all sorts of conditions, rain, snow. I am so used to it I don't notice it much anymore. It does clunk when its shifting power, can hear it especially on slow tight bends, but that's normal.

It makes the steering heavier. On long fast bends if you lift off it can cause sudden lift off understeer, but it all depends on the bend and speed you are going.

After a mapping session I went out with the mapper in the rain to test the car (ITB's headwork, cams etc). He commented on how the car was holding traction very well out of bends. I was so used to it I didn't notice, but he said normal cars would be spinning up the inside wheel with the conditions and power I was laying down. He didn't know I had a diff at the time.

I have to use special LSD fluid. The diff makes the most difference in the rain, but id the traction is totally non-existent, it don't matter what LSD you use, you're going to just spin up both wheels.

hamloin
19-06-2011, 18:31
cool iv just fitted a gripper diff and its wound up tight, iv been struggling with it in the lanes its savage and the car goes where it wants. but today i did a sprint on a old air field and what an improovement its amazing i saved 2.5 secs on my best time.
does yours snatch like mine? if not i may get mine backed off a bit

Wobba
20-06-2011, 00:54
Mines at minimum setting for road use. Only with backing of mid bend do you need to be ready to apply adjustment to steering more than you would normally.