PDA

View Full Version : Catcam 225's vs Piper 270's....

Wobba
17-06-2011, 00:17
Ok, cam spec deathmatch. Both are reasonably mild, but well suited for moderate gains on standard inlet. What is your cam of choice out of these two?

16v_paddy
17-06-2011, 00:45
Ok then, useless post from me time :P

I choose piper 270's but I also choose an F7P so my input here is completely useless :lol:

Laine_16v
17-06-2011, 06:58
The catcam camshaft would undoubtly have the better profile regardless of them having the same sort of duration and lift figures.

chip
17-06-2011, 09:28
The catcam camshaft would undoubtly have the better profile regardless of them having the same sort of duration and lift figures.

In the case of any reground cam the lobe shape is heavily based on the original cam by definition, so the 270 have to be very similar to the original williams grind, no bad thing though if you still want a perfect idle etc.

The 225 are actually loads more lift than the 270, so really not sure where you get the "regardless of them having the same sort of duration and lift figures" bit from cause thats a nonsense.

Lift on the 225 is 10.90 / 10.65mm, but on the 270 its only 9.91 / 9.19mm

The 225 is basically the lift of the 285 and the duration of the 270 more or less.

This allows them to function a lot better on the standard inlet/ecu due to the short duration but they still give quite good gains from the extra lift.

Downside is the 225 will knacker the followers sooner as they have higher valver acceleration rates, but we're not talking by a massive amount.

If you are sticking on the standard injection, the 225 is a good option, but TBH I really cant see the point of ever tuning these engines on the standard injection, just pay a few hundred quid more out and go aftermarket and get some proper control of what is going on and then the option to run some decent cams like 285 pipers or 213 catcams.

kj16v
17-06-2011, 11:42
I've mapped 7R's on Piper 270's, Kent 200-and-something's :) and Catcams 225's.

They've all made similar power and torque on the dyno, but I have to say I was quite impressed by the idle and off-idle driveability. Idle is 'uneven' as opposed to lumpy. and there's no major loss in tractability between 1100 and 2500 like you get with the other makes.

Would be interesting to be able to line all the up on a strip and compare them back-to-back on the road.