PDA

View Full Version : what will my internals take?

willy_kev
19-05-2011, 23:34
thinking of a few power mods, maybe eventually a turbo conversion but not just yet. im just wondering what the internals will take power wise before i need to change them? These engines seem a pain in the ass to get power gains out of? can anyone recommend a few mods that will get me a few more pony's and not cost the earth?

cheers

K

kj16v
20-05-2011, 13:08
These engines are very easy to get power out of - it's the gearboxes that are a pain in the arse :)

If you search this forum a bit, I'm pretty sure the subject of internals strength has been discussed before.

I tune Clio 16Vs and Williams' and I must say the F7 engines respond very well to even simple mods:

The last Williams I mapped made a dyno-proven 157 bhp with just a performance air filter fitted. But most importantly, it also makes a significant gain in midrange torque, making it genuinely quicker and generally a lot more fun to drive.

If you want to start making 'proper' power then your first port of call is a set of performance cams, and preferably vernier cam pulleys.

The cam'd engines I tune typically make around 170-180+ bhp.

For REAL power :D Then we're talking throttle-bodies / turbos / superchargers. IIRC, an F7 on throttle bodies can easily make over 200 bhp on stock internals, with the right cams/headwork.

With even a basic forced induction setup an F7 will, again, easily break the 200bhp mark

But to make a powerful AND reliable car it's gonna cost. For thottle bodies you have the cost of the kit obviously, then the cost of standalone ecu plus getting it mapped.

With forced induction the Renault ecu is fine as long as it's remapped to suit..But if you want to run any worthwhile level of boost then you need to lower the compression ratio. And , again yo have to by/make manifolds,, exhaust systems, et.

I'm not going to go in to what parts you need because it's been discussed many. many times before in the tuning section! But I will say that with the right selection of parts, you can make a reliable 250+ bhp Clio for under £4000. In a flimsy Clio that equals one seriously rapid car!
F7's can make much more power than that, but if you want it you'll have to spend more!

whatever tuning route you go down. The key to making a fast AND reliable car is to get mapped properly Whether it's N/A or FI, don't expect to just stick a £30 off-the-shelf chip in and everything'll work wonderfully. It won't, then you'll have the price of rebuilding your engine AND getting remapped! Trust me, we've all done it on here and if you don't believe me ask someone like Zmaster2k :lol:

zmaster2k
20-05-2011, 15:12
lol yeh cheers KJ!

i ran my car on pump fuel and a shit off the shelf chip with propper random AFR levels. and it detted the head gasket. Then had to fork out for engine work cam timing, mapping...all of which could be avoided.

Since KJ Mapped it.. its bloody fantastic.... i could try to describe the difference but i think the word......."Savage".....is best.

But i still wish i had my oldskool powerband round my gearstick!....RIP!

schakal
20-05-2011, 17:03
lol yeh cheers KJ!

i ran my car on pump fuel and a s**t off the shelf chip with propper random AFR levels. and it detted the head gasket. Then had to fork out for engine work cam timing, mapping...all of which could be avoided.

Since KJ Mapped it.. its bloody fantastic.... i could try to describe the difference but i think the word......."Savage".....is best.

But i still wish i had my oldskool powerband round my gearstick!....RIP!

What off the shelf chip was that mate ?

Coops
20-05-2011, 18:54
i love my powerband :-)

for big power its turbo really, and a decent map as stated. the old fastchips off the shelf maps are excellent and can be had cheap, but finding them isnt easy and you at least need a wideband to check they are what they are :D

best off with a custom map though tbh ;-)

ideally decide what route u want to take early however, so dont sling 2k down it on n/a cams and headwork etc, only to turbo it later

willy_kev
22-05-2011, 11:00
All good advice thanks, i used to have a wr1 impreza, which was i fitted an aps sr40 turbo to, 660cc injectors, RCM manifold, headers, decat and exhaust, and aps induction kit. it was mapped by power station and made 360bhp. The mapping cost a bomb, as roughly £700 of that was for a license! in total the map cost the best part of a grand. Can i expect the same kind of charge for the willy? and do i need to invest in a stand alone ecu? also kj, where are you based? and would you be interested in the work? cheers K

willy_kev
22-05-2011, 11:02
heres a couple of pics if your interested

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn301/wr1305/152.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn301/wr1305/003-6.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn301/wr1305/004-8.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn301/wr1305/001-2.jpg

16v_paddy
22-05-2011, 12:04
:shock: £1000 for a map :shock:

KJ charges a fraction of that to map a std ecu :lol: I believe his valver is turbo'd so it's not a problem for him to map them, not sure if a standalone ecu would be better but I'm pretty sure he could map that as well :wink:

Anders
28-07-2011, 14:54
Kev...seems we have similar tastes mate...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/anders_UK/WR1/9210.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c106/anders_UK/Clio/Front-IsoLow.jpg

very simialr in spec too, but I run the Solaris ECU and got it mapped by Pat, on dyno and on-road.

Cost for the ECU was about £1200 inc mapping, but then I added LC and ALS for an extra £200...license for the software and dongle was about £450.

Costs can soon spiral, as most of the bits are interlinked - so turbo's, headers, exhaust, injectors, fuel pump etc... So do your research, and don't think you can scrimp and save. If you are gonna do it, then do it right and you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and extra dosh in the long run.

willy_kev
27-09-2011, 15:50
sorry for the delay in reply mate, ive been away... what number was your wr1? i recognize that picture :D