PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump

grez_clio.wil
16-05-2011, 17:58
ive bought a new pump as mine is making a loud clicking sound as i turn the wheel.
is there any rough step by step guide to replacing this? anyone have any pictures etc, also does the engine have to come out?

many thanks :)

Chadwick
16-05-2011, 18:28
Hi mate,
I only did mine last week so its still pretty fresh in mind.

Undo the tentioning pulley wheel (7mm allen key socket in the middle, with a 22mm spanner on the outer nut) and move the aux belt out of the way.

Remove the radiator, as the alternator needs to come out of that way.

Remove the alternator, once you've moved the altenator, its slightly above that, and you will expose it pretty clear. There is a couple of brackets around it, just make a mental note of where they came from with which bolts. Also the hydraulic hoses from the pump to the rack, and from the pump to the resivoir. Try to keep everything clean.

The pulley wheel need to unbolted from the pump. (be careful to use the right sized torx key as mine chewed the head up and spent an hour with a dremmel, even though I used the right sized head) I would advise spraying some WD40 or similar before you start removing everything else so it can have time to soak in.

It sounds harder than it is. Should only take a couple of hours.

16v_paddy
16-05-2011, 20:39
I'd also remove the headlight & maybe even the bonnet & that will make life so much easier to get at all the crap you need to :wink:

Chadwick
16-05-2011, 22:16
Good point. Those bits are like a jack in the box on my car. Always springing on/off

grez_clio.wil
17-05-2011, 20:45
thank you to you both for your advice, i will try and do it one day this week and let you know how i get on.

Wobba
17-05-2011, 21:05
Headlight out first:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/pspump.jpg

Can get the pump out with just slackening the big brackets so they move about and you can get the out the way.

As said, the pulley on the pump can be a pain if the crap torx bolts are the usual OEM fail ones.

Tbh with the headlight out you can get the alternator out easy, no need to drain coolant etc.

That pic should help if you forget which bolts go where.

grez_clio.wil
14-06-2011, 19:12
sorry about the late reply..
thanks chadwick and paddy, your info came very useful and thanks wobba for that diagram.

all that was needed was a new belt. the pump itself is a little whiney but i can live with it for now. i could do with the big bracket (no.1 in the picture) because the teeth for the tensioner have rounded off. luckily ive managed to get the belt really tight now but its always in back of my head to get it changed..

Anders
15-06-2011, 09:27
Common issue of these things is a noisy pump.

Could always try flushing the system and putting in some new fluid.