PDA

View Full Version : Clio Volvo Turbo (B18FT) conversion....who can help?

cliogerbil
08-04-2011, 15:09
Hi

On recommendation from ClioSport i have been sent over here as you guys may be able to help.

I've had my Clio 1.4RT for about 10 years now. Due to other commitments it hasn't been out of the garage for 3 years but now its time to finish it off and get showing again.

Below is a link to some pics and vids of the car as she stands.

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=DSCF0033.mp4

I have the volvo engine in there now. It was actually taken out of another Clio with the conversion already done. The snag is i dont know alot about engines to be honest. I hear the wiring is the hardest part of the conversion but this was already done and working so should be easy to sort with the right knowledge.

If anyone fancies lending a hand as to where the pipes and wiring loom fit i can sort the rest.

Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can provide.

Cheers

Russ

cliokiz
08-04-2011, 15:19
I'm not far away and could lend a hand :)

If you've got a car that has already been converted then swapping it over should be fairly easy!

Wobba
08-04-2011, 15:24
Guess you'd use a Volvo loom and ECU for the engine bay and just wire it up to the battery feed. I assume the other systems are Volvo. RT was manual steering wasn't it? I cant remember.

cliogerbil
08-04-2011, 15:40
Hi

The car has power steering. Those kind of things are still attached. Its mainly knowing where the sensors and things go as i didn't get the engne out of the old car. Hill Power did it for me.

davidbuttigieg
10-04-2011, 23:03
Hi mate,

I've done this conversion on my renault 5, pretty much exactly the same.

Need anything let me know by mail cos i'm not much on here anymore, unfortunately my clio is a sleeping project at the moment.

Its a direct swap and connecting the loom to the engine is very simple and requires only very common sense as the sockets only fit their counter sensor.

Tapping into the loom is very simple also - you need to use only 3 wires from the main bulkhead plug (pink in colour) - 1. Grey - ignition 12V, 2. Thick grey/red - fuel pump, 3. Brown/blue - tacho.

You will also find a free wire just after the throttle position sensor plug that needs to be connected directly to the battrey +

Need anything else let me know :wink:

davidbuttigieg
10-04-2011, 23:08
Hi

The car has power steering. Those kind of things are still attached. Its mainly knowing where the sensors and things go as i didn't get the engne out of the old car. Hill Power did it for me.

I suggest you remove the power steering as it will certainly suffer from alot of torque steer when the boost kicks in corners..

cliogerbil
11-04-2011, 16:39
davidbuttigieg - I dont think that will be too much of an issue to be honest. The car weighs in at nearly 2 tonnes so it wont exactly be a power monster..lol

Your information on the cabling is very very appreciated and i will certainly have a go at getting it started up this weekend i reckon if that is really how much work is invloved. It should be quite easy. When i looked at it the other day there were relays and things everywhere and got a bit scared to be honest.

davidbuttigieg
12-04-2011, 21:40
2 tonnes ?!? :shock: what's in your car then ?!

If your gonna leave the engine as it is and not planning on any performance upgrades then yes, it's not an issue, but if like myself you will be running some boost, a cam and a chip, then you'll find out for yourself what I mean by torque steer :wink:

goodluck with the conversion !

cliogerbil
13-04-2011, 10:18
the weight is down to the sound system which is, shall we say HEFTY..lol The suspension is now on airbags as the extra weight was snapping uprated rear shocks within hours..lol

If you would like to see some pics of exactly whats in there then visit the cars website at www.evilice.freeservers.co.uk.

The system has actually changed since the photos. There are now 6 of the big sub amps, 3 Orion HCCA subs which are HUUUUGE and 3 extra batteries.

The engine has being fitted mainly as the alternator position is in an ideal place for upgrades as i need a dual setup or massive one on there. I will be upping boost to around 160bhp which should be fine for carrying the extra weight.

davidbuttigieg
13-04-2011, 14:52
the weight is down to the sound system which is, shall we say HEFTY..lol The suspension is now on airbags as the extra weight was snapping uprated rear shocks within hours..lol

If you would like to see some pics of exactly whats in there then visit the cars website at www.evilice.freeservers.co.uk.

The system has actually changed since the photos. There are now 6 of the big sub amps, 3 Orion HCCA subs which are HUUUUGE and 3 extra batteries.

The engine has being fitted mainly as the alternator position is in an ideal place for upgrades as i need a dual setup or massive one on there. I will be upping boost to around 160bhp which should be fine for carrying the extra weight.

ohhhhhh that explains it all then :lol: :lol:

davidbuttigieg
13-04-2011, 14:57
:shock: :shock:

the link would not work but I googled it and managed to see the photos.. bloody hell !! That must be veryyyy heavy :lol: :lol:

cliogerbil
14-04-2011, 10:47
lol..it is very heavy. With the 1.4 lump it struggled...a lot..lol

The extra 80 or so horses (with boost increase) should be plenty although the large alternator setup will take 10-15% of the engine power.

Oops on the link. It is www.evilice.freeservers.com

cliokiz
14-04-2011, 11:51
That's insane! I'm surprised your gearbox hasnt given up yet!

Mine decided to start popping out of gear when i drove up a steep hill with a car full of people and luggage. Seems the extra weight finished it off!

cliogerbil
14-04-2011, 12:35
the 1.4 lump did remarkably well for 40000 miles or so but then started smoking. I think the piston rings were on the way out. It did make for some amazing overrun exhaust popping though which was lovely..lol

The gearbox had been changed at about 75000 as the car was originally a Bacarra so an Auto jobbie. That died a mega death weirdly on the same day the car was going to Hill Power to have the gearbox changed to a manual. I was very suprised how big and heavy the Auto box is compared to a manual.

The Clio RSI box is being used on the Volvo engine which should be fine on power as its not exactly going to get much caning..not much point with all the weight