PDA

View Full Version : Changed springs on the AVO's

Wobba
28-03-2011, 13:55
I think they are like 250lb on the AVO's normally.

As they are leaking a bit I pumped them a bit to get the in a bit better shape, then popped 350 lb springs I got off Justin the other day on to see if it took any strain off the dampers and thus less wibbly-wobblyness from them in general.

I love em! yea, there is a bit more bounce, but generally I am getting more feedback and less roll.

I like hard suspension anyway.

It's fun!

Try it.

Yey!

chip
28-03-2011, 14:00
Surely by giving them less travel to operate over you just made it harder for the dampers to cope not easier!

Springs (and antiroll bars which of course offer roll resitance too) determine how far the car leans, dampers alter how quickly it moves to that point.

If your dampers were giving you issues with 250, they will only be worse on 350

Hard springs do feel amazing on turn in as they offer such a massive amount of initial roll resistance which makes the car feel very pointed, but TBH I would personally sooner have a little compliance generally and sacrifice that turn in sharpness in exchange for more grip mid bend.

All down to personal preference though and what the vehicle is used for, I tend to treat racetracks like rallycross circuits and make a habbit of going over all the kerbs etc, so for me I need suspension that wont be unsettled doing so, so really hard springs arent a good option for me.

Wobba
28-03-2011, 14:23
I'm just having fun, messing about with stuff.

Reading about how things work in theory is one thing. Experiencing it is another.

It's fun!

chip
28-03-2011, 15:00
I'm just having fun, messing about with stuff.

Reading about how things work in theory is one thing. Experiencing it is another.

It's fun!

Lol, you'll end up seasick

Wobba
28-03-2011, 15:29
Im going to lower it a bit when I get home too. Needs to be BTCC flat when I'm done.

chip
28-03-2011, 15:32
Just make sure you have a BTCC spec gearbox with the diff at the top then so that your driveshaft angles arent terrible.
Likewise all the suspension geometry.

BTCC cars arent lowered, they are built to run that height, big difference!

Wobba
29-03-2011, 15:00
I've lowered it, last night, 5 full rotations of the adjustable collar.

It's hardcore now. Christ. Journey to work was amusing.

Think it needs more as it's not scraping the arches yet.

chip
29-03-2011, 16:21
Wikid init bruv!

Wobba
29-03-2011, 16:30
Wikid init bruv!

Yoooooooooooooo!

Justin..
01-04-2011, 10:29
lol! got them on then

Wobba
01-04-2011, 13:15
Aye! Dentists next week. Apparently some of my teeth have dislodged?