PDA

View Full Version : turbo chip

dimma
24-03-2011, 11:30
will a turbo chip for a williams be suitable for use in a 1.8 16v? :?

zmaster2k
24-03-2011, 13:21
no it wont

and for the love of god dont run an off the shelf chip for a turbo'd motor...

speak to KJ16v about getting the standard chip mapped, OR get propper management!

dimma
24-03-2011, 15:06
which engine would be best to turbo a williams or a 1.8 16v? i have a 1.8 turbo which was done 6 years ago and i got a chip from bb tuning to do it.

chip
24-03-2011, 15:42
As you have just been told do NOT run any chip on a turbo motor other than one specifically written for THAT engine.

kj16v on here will do you one, or better still go to aftermarket management and you can do the job even more properly.

With regards to what engine to use, the williams is better for a turbo application IMHO due to the longer stroke.

kj16v
25-03-2011, 01:10
Agreed with both replies :D

The thing with the BB tuning chips is that they were developed years ago to go with (now defunct) BB Tuning's own turbo conversions. It was made to work with a certain engine with a certain compression ratio and a certain turbo at a certain level of boost.

Now people make their own custom turbo conversions with any combination of parts and specs. The chip you have there could be designed for a Wiliams or a 16V, low boost or high boost. Ftting it and hoping it will work is likely to end in an expensive repair bill. You never know, you might be lucky. Probably not!.

As mentioned above, with aftermarket ecus - or me :) available there is no know need for guesswork when it comes to engine control. Build your engine once and a get it mapped by a good mapper once. Job done!