PDA

View Full Version : Ignition table tuning

CyccX
19-03-2011, 14:48
Hello,

i just wondering how to tune my ignition map ???? i have MS1 extra and full controled ignition advance. as far i know too much ignition advance can initiate detonation.

How protect my self to dont go to far with advance ?? How find the optimum Advance map without rollingroads ??

how ignition table looks in williams engine ?? it look much difrence compared to table advance with ITB's ??

Wobba
20-03-2011, 13:17
Hello,

i just wondering how to tune my ignition map ???? i have MS1 extra and full controled ignition advance. as far i know too much ignition advance can initiate detonation.

How protect my self to dont go to far with advance ?? How find the optimum Advance map without rollingroads ??

how ignition table looks in williams engine ?? it look much difrence compared to table advance with ITB's ??

Well, you're right about too much advance causing detonation. With my engine the advance has been retarded back from what is normal by a long way as it is high compression.

To set the ignition advance up without a RR, you really need to road map it and use detonation cans. This is simply a sound amplification tool and a headset, with a 'sensor' type microphone clipped onto the engine. You need to know what det sounds like. It's like someone rattling a baked bean tin with a ball bearing in, usually as you put the engine under load.

To road map it, you need two people and a laptop to change the advance and listen out for the sound of detonation.

Use a shit low octane fuel unless this is a mental race car, which only uses alcohol fuel or something lol.

Before you do anything, you need to understand what you are doing so go and read up on it first. ITB's or not, it's irrelevant, each engine is different. My new engine now uses a very different ignition map to the old engine

You want a basic idea of what numbers to use as a safe base map don't you? I have some numbers here, but am reluctant to hand them out in the event of people using them and destroying their engine, which would be easy to do if a person does not realise how much they can **** their engine in a short space of time with crazy timings. And don't think entering loads of retarded ignition is necessarily safe either!

sideways danny
20-03-2011, 13:34
all you can really do on the road is setup to avoid detonation, this wont give you best power always though. Engines aren't making best power at the detonation threshold at all points in the revs

chip
21-03-2011, 01:22
For most turbo cars the ignition is knock limited and for most n/a cars it isn't.

If it's a standard Williams engine you have no chance of finding peak power ignition figures without a rolling road really, although an accurate g meter can get the right ballpark.

CyccX
21-03-2011, 10:46
how about EGT ?? can EGT help me find best power ignition table ?? if yes, How ?

Wobba
21-03-2011, 11:03
What is it you are looking for exactly?

OEM ECU settings? KJ16V may have them.

If not, then if what you are looking for is best performance and fuelling for the road, you need a session on a rolling road.

CyccX
21-03-2011, 20:11
i'm running megasquirt

Wobba
22-03-2011, 10:56
I know. If you want the best ignition table, use a rolling road.

Wobba
22-03-2011, 11:05
This is one of the maps I ran on my old setup, with ITB's, 225 Catcams, ported Meg 714 head and standard engine. I won't accept any responsibility with what you do with this information, or any damage arising from them being used in any way:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/The%20ITB%20Album/mapstuff.jpg

chip
22-03-2011, 11:57
EGT can get you into the right ballpark, will certainly tell you if you are massively too retarded, and detonation will potentially tell you if you are too advanced (although at some points you will NOT get det no matter how much timing you put in) but you are going to HAVE to use a rolling road if you want to find the optimum values.

chip
22-03-2011, 12:00
PS

What country are you from?

Is there some reason you cant use a rolling road? (ie I know that in some countries they basically just arent available to the public)

If so, a decent datalogger with a g meter that plots acceleration is going to be your best alternative I suspect, you can try advancing the whole top line a degree at a time, and monitor which rpm it accelerates quicker or slower at to find the optimum values for each point.

So do 10 runs, with the top line every value from 23 to 32, record each one, and look at the data to see on which value at each load site it was optimum, then enter the values from each one into the curve accordingly.

chip
22-03-2011, 12:01
PS, but obviously abort the run if you hear det!