PDA

View Full Version : Piper 285 billet cams ok without machining pistons?

chip
09-03-2011, 15:08
Guy who's mondeo diesel Im mapping for him has offered me payment in the form of a pair of new billet Piper camshafts for an F7R as he knows i'm into clios.

Quiet good timing as Ive literally just pulled my engine apart for a freshen up before it starts to lose ring seal etc, so I thought I might put them in while its apart seeing as its going to essentially cost me nothing anyway, does anyone know off hand if they will fit without pocketing the pistons or shall I enlarge the pockets?
Pain in the arse dry building to check the clearance of course due to having to knock up a temporary solid lifter to measure from due to the fact im still on pikey hydraulics with this engine!
Head has been skimmed 10 thou to up the compression a touch, so Ive slightly less clearance as a result of that, other than that its all standard.
From what I recall they will go ok, but can anyone confirm or deny that for me?

Wobba
09-03-2011, 15:16
Pretty sure they be fine. Jay uses 285's, he will know!

chip
09-03-2011, 15:37
Is he on standard pistons then?

jay s
09-03-2011, 19:05
yep im on std pistons and no valve to piston contact with them set to pipers figures of 2.18mm lift @ tdc , i previously had the inlet set to near on 3.00mm lift at tdc and it didn't hit the piston then either :D
will be good to get another persons view/ results with them :D

chip
09-03-2011, 19:21
Ideal, when you had them set wrong, you did a perfect test for my skimmed head then, lol

Thanks very much for the feedback.

will let you know how I get on in a few weeks when I fit them :)