PDA

View Full Version : Flywheels suitable for standalone ECU

robi1000
08-02-2011, 11:48
I know that Williams fly isn't suitable because of tooth pattern.

Megane fly is ok because it has 60-2 tooth pattern.

Are there any other Renault models with suitable flywheel (172, Espace,...)

Yanoo_
08-02-2011, 12:31
What standalone ECU will you use? Megasquirt can manage the Williams flywheel. And cheap. Or K-TEC sort out the Omex - flywheel compatibility issue (or at least they sell ITB kit with Omex and that is suitable with Williams f/w).

robi1000
08-02-2011, 12:41
KMS MD25.

What is Williams fly pattern? 36-1?

Yanoo_
08-02-2011, 14:48
No, it's not the conventional 36-1 Ford pattern, it's a French (silly) pattern: 44-2-2. Or in other words: 2 x 22-2

(20 teeth - 2 missing teeth - 20 teeth - 2 missing teeth)

Yanoo_
08-02-2011, 14:51
This pattern was told by that guy who programmed Thomas turbo'd 16V. I guess you remember that car (approx 280 fly HP and 300 + Nm, E85, oem flywheel, uprated clutch etc).

sideways danny
08-02-2011, 14:53
For simplicity, use a megane or 172 flywheel (the same part)

I've had Canems write me some new software to run the standard trigger pattern which is 44-2-2

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/sidewaysdanny/renix2.png

Not much use to you as you already have the KMS, but shows you what the standard williams trigger pattern is like

:)[/img]

robi1000
08-02-2011, 17:28
Ok, so 172 fly is the same as Megane one. Any other cars that use similar fly and are not made by Renault Sport? (maybe some other car using less powerful F4R engine?)

2 live
08-02-2011, 19:57
can also just get a trigger wheel and bolt it to the crank pulley. mine was done that way, with the webers.

robi1000
08-02-2011, 20:42
Good idea, but I think that used flywheel will be a cheaper option. And I can also fit a bigger clutch.

Laine_16v
08-02-2011, 21:23
can also just get a trigger wheel and bolt it to the crank pulley. mine was done that way, with the webers.

But the crank pulley is friction fit, and then the trigger wheel would be friction fit on top of it again, lineing it up correctly (which is cruicial to maitain desired ignition timing), would be a nightmare.

Also you would have to fabricate a very substaintial bracket for the sensor to sit on so it wouldnt vibrate at high revs, and even then its in a more prone to damage in the position it would be in (althought probably not much of an issue).

Its not ideal.

A&P
08-02-2011, 21:37
Have to agree with LAINE seen a clio with crank pulley trigger it was a nightmare all sorts of timing issues and vibration problems. flywheel trigger more accurate and easier to source. Having said that no reason why it wouldnt work if done properly, crank pulley located correctly and proper bracket for sensor etc.

diditno
08-02-2011, 21:58
when i had my omex fitted a few years back, a 172 flywhhel was used as it already had a pickup onit as apposed to the williams one which didnt. as a bonus you get to fit a bigger clutch. not that i can find one that is any good for the turbo

robi1000
08-02-2011, 22:20
One more thing... Can I fit my current clutch (williams item) on a Megane/172 flywheel?

diditno
08-02-2011, 22:24
i think it will be too small, i would take advantage of the uprade tbh

2 live
09-02-2011, 01:20

But the crank pulley is friction fit, and then the trigger wheel would be friction fit on top of it again, lineing it up correctly (which is cruicial to maitain desired ignition timing), would be a nightmare.

Also you would have to fabricate a very substaintial bracket for the sensor to sit on so it wouldnt vibrate at high revs, and even then its in a more prone to damage in the position it would be in (althought probably not much of an issue).

Its not ideal.

its bolted on...it has 2 count them...2 holes ready for for tapping and a trigger wheel bolting to it..its no biggy.its easily done. a bracket is nothing for the sensor.....mines actually still on....has been for years. i never got round to removing it tbh. never had any issues at all with it when running the bodies, never had any issues with it afterwards....

sideways danny
09-02-2011, 12:58
pulley mounted wheels works. It's a method used on thosands of cars However there's a perfectly good, ready made sensor mounting on the gearbox that is well proven, and there's not a lot of places to mount a sensor on the belt end where you can guarantee against vibration.

dhay14
09-02-2011, 21:45
@2live.
can you post a pic of the trigger wheel setup as im interessted in this upgrade aswell

cheers

chip
23-02-2011, 11:21
If you use a pulley mounted wheel the position isnt actaully critical anyway, as you can just use a timing light to see where its ended up exactly and then set the offset in the ecu to get it in the correct position.

But that said, given that the megane flywheel has really substantial teeth which any aftermarket ecu will see really well, works with the standard sensor location and is available pretty readily secondhand etc, it seems the sensible option to just use that.