PDA

View Full Version : volvo 340 rwd conversion

walters300
06-02-2011, 19:11
I have seen many volvo 340 F7R/F7P conversions and wondered whether a volvo 340 gearbox is an easy fit.

the conversion posts i have looked at dont mention any difficulty mating the box to the engine... the engine would have to be turned side ways in a clio and find a way of getting the prop shaft and back axle to fit, the volvo seems to have quite a narrow track on the rear.

rear wheel drive in a clio would be mental fun :D

anybody got any ideas if this could to be done or whether other volvo gearboxes would fit. i.e the T5 etc. if the t5 could be adapted it should handle good power as those t5 s were upto 350bhp if i remember correctly,

my car has a wide arch kit so could take the wider track, just an idea at the moment but i would like to find out if it can be done, any input appreciated :wink:

sideways danny
06-02-2011, 19:15
those volvos are trans-axle, meaning the gearbox is in the rear axle. The torque tubes that transfer output from the flywheel to the box are also well known to be fragile, even on standard volvo power

walters300
06-02-2011, 19:22
:( another grand plan down the tubes, surely there must be a way, 4wd is the ultimate and there must be someone out there who has ideas on how it could be achieved... the vw turbo conversion done on here proves anything is possible :wink:

walters300
06-02-2011, 19:33
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2001-RENAULT-MEGANE-SCENIC-4x4-SPARES-REPAIR-SALVAGE-/320652069546?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4aa85a4aaa

How about if you butchered on of these maybe?

midge
06-02-2011, 19:46
looks like you could run a 172 engine on that setup, but if your going to do such a conversion then why bother with something renault? go evo.

walters300
06-02-2011, 19:53
I have spent a fortune on a turbo conversion on my F7R engine so i need to find a cost effective way using what i have, the williams engine and 172 are more or less the same so if this car was butchered and the drive shafts/ prop shaft shortened it may be possible, what do you think?? could even cut out the rear floor pan and get it welded in and the shorten the driveshaft to suit. sounds good :roll:

midge
06-02-2011, 19:57
I couldn't give you specifics, but if you must use your engine then you could adapt a 4x4 setup to fit the engine.

walters300
06-02-2011, 20:07
I was thinking if I looked at another renault with similar attributes it may make things easier, 220bhp and small turbo is enough for me and i am thinking the megane set up with a smaller car and wheels might make reliability a possible achievement. will have a chat with a renault mechanic to see what he thinks as it seems the easiest option without spending a fortune. Thanks bud :wink:

2 live
06-02-2011, 20:28
4x4 clio. as above, could use the scenic running gear. but would be a lot of work. as it would be for any 4wd system on a car thats not meant to have it.

chop the floor out and weld in an old sierra floorpan, shortening and narrowing to suit, use the cossy lump.

or go for another engine same spec as you have, and twin engine one.

walters300
06-02-2011, 20:41
:) the cossie is the ultimate and the one on here i would ultimately like to own :P I am trying to gauge the cost of this conversion and the best/ easiest way using what i have. Iwill scratch my head a bit more to see if i can come up with a feasable plan :wink:

Wobba
07-02-2011, 01:12
There are other Volvos using F7R's. Surely you can just copy the setup they used?

walters300
07-02-2011, 01:49
Wobba I am going to look into it as the car is nearly finished now and that wont do!!!! this is a long term hobby so i need to find something else to do to it :D 8)