PDA

View Full Version : 208's vs 213's

Wobba
05-02-2011, 13:01
Right. Need to decide if I want the wider spread of torque from the 208's or the peakier 213's.

I prefer the 'on demand' torque I get off 225's, but they are too mild for my engine spec, which is as below in my sig, but with the addition of a 12.5:1 high comp block as well.

Has anyone got some decent input. Of course, I'd love the peak bhp figure with 213's, but prefer driveability. The question is: with 213's will I compromise my low down torque noticeably, and will 208's retain the torque but lose me a bunch of peak bhp?

Any RR figures?

cliokongen
05-02-2011, 13:44
Interested in this as well.

schakal
05-02-2011, 14:09
i want to know if you are selling a set of 225s ? :P

Wobba
05-02-2011, 14:10

I will be yes.

Wobba
05-02-2011, 14:29

I will be yes.

And you're not the only one to have asked me that since posting this lol.

schakal
05-02-2011, 14:40

I will be yes.

And you're not the only one to have asked me that since posting this lol.

right.... :D

KieranEG6
05-02-2011, 16:18
Also quite intrested to hear this.

I have a mate who is building his motor but doesnt have regular access to the net so im kinda doin his research.

He is after around 220hp with a good usable curve on the track. The road drivability doesnt have to that grate but is still needed to be usable to some extent. He was advised the 225's but does'nt think they will be enough. He will be running a F7R around 12.1:1 CR, with custom bike ITBs and a load of head work.

looking at the cam list he was considering the mid range off the race/rally series that need custom valvtrain. But it will be used on the road aswell so looking at the cam specs i advised either the 208's or 213's. Which as it turnes out is what most of you guys run.

Hopefully there is someone on here who can help highlight the differences in the characteristics of 225's, 208's and 213's.

Im a Honda man myself so know nothing when it comes to F7Rs only ever done a few 172 cambelts an thats bout it to my experience of clio's.

Any help would be grate. Cheers

Wobba
06-02-2011, 00:55

I have a mate who is building his motor but doesnt have regular access to the net so im kinda doin his research.

He is after around 220hp with a good usable curve on the track. The road drivability doesnt have to that grate but is still needed to be usable to some extent. He was advised the 225's but does'nt think they will be enough. He will be running a F7R around 12.1:1 CR, with custom bike ITBs and a load of head work.

looking at the cam list he was considering the mid range off the race/rally series that need custom valvtrain. But it will be used on the road aswell so looking at the cam specs i advised either the 208's or 213's. Which as it turnes out is what most of you guys run.

Hopefully there is someone on here who can help highlight the differences in the characteristics of 225's, 208's and 213's.

Im a Honda man myself so know nothing when it comes to F7Rs only ever done a few 172 cambelts an thats bout it to my experience of clio's.

225's wont cut it. Good cam but wont make the most of higher spec engine. 213's are the best for peakier power and standard lifters.

I like the idea of the 208's torque spread but think I can use the ITB's and high compression to compensate for any losses the peakier 213's take on low end torque and balance it out. Probably go 213's at the moment.

cliokongen
06-02-2011, 01:44

225's wont cut it. Good cam but wont make the most of higher spec engine. 213's are the best for peakier power and standard lifters.

I like the idea of the 208's torque spread but think I can use the ITB's and high compression to compensate for any losses the peakier 213's take on low end torque and balance it out. Probably go 213's at the moment.

220bhp is possible with 225's on semi high compression (11,5) :wink:

KieranEG6
06-02-2011, 16:57
Are the 213's much worse on road driving than the others.

Plus what sort of power could be expected around. If running around 12:1 CR?

sideways danny
06-02-2011, 19:08

No, not at all. Power was a bit late in the revs with the standard inlet manifold, but with ITBs it exactly right.

215-220 on a throttle bodied engine thats been well built.

no way in hell will 225s get even close, they might just squeeze 200bhp at a push. Anyone that says otherwise needs to use a less broken dyno

Evogone
06-02-2011, 20:47

No, not at all. Power was a bit late in the revs with the standard inlet manifold, but with ITBs it exactly right.

no way in hell will 225s get even close, they might just squeeze 200bhp at a push. Anyone that says otherwise needs to use a less broken dyno

Disagree, Cliokongen car is a great example........

lots more factors then just cams.

cliokongen
07-02-2011, 00:30

Dynoed on a respectable dyno.... not optimistic or broken.. :)
Bhp is not important anyway - it's how it drives and feels.
With the 225's the torque feels very linear in the entire rev range.
Good for a road car and occasional track day car. I have been very pleased with my 225's. All though i would like to play a bit with the cam timing if it was more accessible on the Clio... Just used the lift at TDC stated.

Michael

Wobba
13-02-2011, 13:16
I've decided to use 213's as I will be buying a second car this year and leaving the Willy under cover a bit more.

The 225's are a great cam but with this type of engine I need to raise the bar a bit cams wise. I believe the more extreme the cam, the more extreme an improvement from high compression engines.