PDA

View Full Version : Trading my Williams 3. Possible Bargain to be had for member

CocH1980
10-01-2011, 13:12
Hello All

I am buying a new car and I am going to be trading in my Williams 3. I have been offered £1200 Trade in which I believe to be a massive underpricing but it is a price that I will take.

Anyway I am willing to offer my Williams 3 to you guys if any of you are interested? Obviously I will not take less than the trade in but if any of you are interested then please PM me and I will give you my number so that we can have a little chat.

The wheel arches have started to go and there is a leak from the sun roof that will need fixing. It requires a lock on the passenger side door as some d1ck punched it through to break into it. It went straight through the MOT in December with only 2 advisories, 1 for for 3 tires wearing a bit low (still got 3mm and the other I changed due to a puncture) and a tracking rod end. The wheels also need a refurb and the drivers door has dropped a bit. I do have the kit to fix this though which I will include.

Its on a private plate at the moment and I am sending the stuff off tomorrow to change it back to its origional plate. This will probably take a a week of so and then all the documents will be back in my hands. It has a full service history and I have recently put on a brand new Renault mid box and a brand new back box, all of which I have receipts for.

Anyway if any of you are interested then you need to buy it within the next week. Obviously I would rather sell it to one of you guys than trade it in so please PM me ASAP. I have not put this in the classifieds as its not a normal sale. If you feel this is wrong then pease feel free to move it.

Im having trouble with the pics so I will email them to you if you want them

Wobba
10-01-2011, 14:25
Potential bargain.

JJsRT
10-01-2011, 15:07
Hello mate,

Very interested in this, not too far from you either. Do you have any other details on the car e.g. age, mileage etc?

Thanks
JC

CocH1980
10-01-2011, 15:29
Its a Williams 3 so a N 1996. It has just done over 110K.

Its has recently had a new back and mid box, new water pump, new battery and a new drive shaft. I have receipts for everything along with the service history apart form the one I had done in May! I do have it, I just cant find it at the moment.

It has had 4 previous owners, I have had it just over 3 years and the owner before me has had it since 1999.

CocH1980
10-01-2011, 19:50
Im going to put it on autotrader for a week if no one on here is interested....

Wobba
10-01-2011, 20:36
Having the waterpump done is a good job done, its a bummer to have to do that.

Good luck!

ab001
10-01-2011, 20:58
I could be interested - sending you PM...

CocH1980
10-01-2011, 22:18
A bit more info for you all now that i have had time to sit down and think.

All the gauges work but I doubt the accuracy or the pressure gauge as its very spuradic but this is common.

The passenger door still locks but not along with the central locking.

I do have 2 sets of keys and other than the passenger door, the central locking does work. It does fully work sometimes though!

I am the legal owner on the V5. I have just had to send it away along with the MOT and a photocopy of the tax disk to get my private plate changed to my new car. This will all be returned to hopefully within the next 7 days.

The sunroof and interior light no longer work. I suspect that this is due to the leak in the sunroof as water got into that part. The mirrors do not work either but they used to until recently. It has a bit of rust on the bonnet.

I use the car daily and it has never let me down. I have just completed a 160 mile round trip to view my now new car. It really is a good runner. It starts first time also.

Wobba
10-01-2011, 22:59
Passenger door lock is just the solenoid, fiddly to replace but simple enough, and not expensive.

northy
10-01-2011, 23:37
how much ?

ab001
10-01-2011, 23:44
Thanks, Wobba - useful to know.

I've had a Valver before and posted a little bit on c16v and I'm looking to get back in a car I actually enjoy driving. And weirdly, I've been missing having a list of things to sort out.

Looking for a Williams 3 this time round, so I'm sure I'll be on here soon.

CocH1980
11-01-2011, 08:55
how much ?

I would take 1400. I think thats a very fair price.

CocH1980
14-01-2011, 16:47
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201102377066643/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/clio/make/renault/keywords/williams/postcode/tn235ge/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

Please clic on the link above for pics. As you can see it is now on Auto Trader. Members on here can have it for £1250. A real bargain I think.

ThRaXaIR
14-01-2011, 18:11
that advert says some toad punched in the passenger lock? why you telling us it mysteriously doesnt work?

ThRaXaIR
14-01-2011, 18:12
i am so sorry i just read it properly!!! whoops..... :oops:

CocH1980
19-01-2011, 17:36
Time is almost up guys.....

CocH1980
28-01-2011, 15:43
Oh well it looks like it is off to the scrap heap tomorrow. Its a shame that no one in this club could find a home for it. Im guessing there will now be 1 less Williams 3 on the road as of tomorrow.

Daz.
28-01-2011, 18:07
It's January :D

Plus I think it's overpriced to an enthusiast - and too expensive to make decent money breaking it.

Wobba
28-01-2011, 18:15
£1250? That's cheap I reckon.

Daz.
28-01-2011, 18:23
It needs arches, painting, tyres, suspension, drivetrain plus all the other issues in the original for sale thread...

I'm not trying to be rude but it needs a couple of thousand spending on it at least..

ThRaXaIR
28-01-2011, 18:29
they all do sadly. NO exceptions (unless they've already been done). :(

CocH1980
28-01-2011, 19:07
It needs arches, painting, tyres, suspension, drivetrain plus all the other issues in the original for sale thread...

I'm not trying to be rude but it needs a couple of thousand spending on it at least..

Suspension is fine, I never mentioned that would need doing and I never mentioned a drive train either, I have no idea what that is?. Tyres are just wear and tear, need replacing on any car at some point.

The beauty with this car is that it has never been resprayed so you can see exactly what you are getting not like a resprayed one which is hiding things. You are looking at £350 for each arch and maybe a few hundred on the electrics (mirrors, sunroof) but thats it. They are going for near on 3k at the moment so I reckon that £1250 is really cheap!

Still its up top the buyers and no one is interested so its done now.

Daz.
28-01-2011, 19:26
My arches, sills and sides of the car cost £1700 and is still going strong.

I've done the £600-700 arch repair and it was back well within a year.

All the suspension will be tired and need replacing - this transforms a williams and tightens it back up to what it used to be - driving a 100k willy on tired suspension is a waste of time, you're not getting the car you should be.

Does it still need a bearing? are you SURE it's a bearing?

Does it still need the wheels doing? Is it still letting air out?

Is the fan still broken?

Is the door still dropped, thats a pain of a job there!

Does it still need a new passenger lock?

Does the sunroof still leak?

Is the engine still knocking?

Are 1st and 2nd still hard to engage?

Personally I'd put it up on eBay again and see if anyone is willing to take a gamble. or just let the traders take it.

Wobba
28-01-2011, 20:10
Or call Mat Brown...

stevie_b
29-01-2011, 00:21
Oh well it looks like it is off to the scrap heap tomorrow. Its a shame that no one in this club could find a home for it. Im guessing there will now be 1 less Williams 3 on the road as of tomorrow.

Sorry, why are you scrapping it when it was worth £1200 as a trade-in? How much are they worth to a scrappy?

theweekendhaslanded
30-01-2011, 00:30
Having worked in the trade for a good few years I can assure you that a trader will not actually give you 1200 for your car. He may offer you 1200 quid off the car your looking to buy but infact the invoiced figure will be written back to peanuts!! Your best taking a discount off the new car and selling the Willy privately. That advise goes to anyone!!

CocH1980
30-01-2011, 21:34
My arches, sills and sides of the car cost £1700 and is still going strong.

I've done the £600-700 arch repair and it was back well within a year.

All the suspension will be tired and need replacing - this transforms a williams and tightens it back up to what it used to be - driving a 100k willy on tired suspension is a waste of time, you're not getting the car you should be.

Does it still need a bearing? are you SURE it's a bearing?

Does it still need the wheels doing? Is it still letting air out?

Is the fan still broken?

Is the door still dropped, thats a pain of a job there!

Does it still need a new passenger lock?

Does the sunroof still leak?

Is the engine still knocking?

Are 1st and 2nd still hard to engage?

Personally I'd put it up on eBay again and see if anyone is willing to take a gamble. or just let the traders take it.

Yes it was a bearing and that was fixed, the fan problem was fixed also. I was completely honest when I advertised the car on here and I stated all of the problems (Wings, wheels, door lock, sunroof ETC) so I have no idea whay you are trying to make me out to be some kind of con man! Fine if you feel the price was too high as you are entitled to your opinon but we will have to agree to disagree on that as I felt the price was very fair. Besides when I have been offered £1200 trade in why would I sell it for less???! Also I have receipts for more that the £1200 I was offered in the last year alone for genuine Renault parts. Please explain your posts as I am not happy with them at all.

With my new car, I haggled money off the price and then I got offered £1200 trade in for the Williams. This was written on the invoice and this also came off the price. If this was the actual trade in price or not matters not as it still amounts to the same thing, £1200. I asked what was going to happen to the Williams and it will be put through an auction. Hopefully it will go to a good home but I doubt it.

Daz.
31-01-2011, 00:15
Con man?

Explain myself?

I was simply trying to put it in basic terms that you expected it to be a bit of a bargain to an enthusiast when it clearly wouldn't be.

Hence the reason I said stick it on eBay or break it.

To make it nice will costs thousands, what you have spent on it is irrelevant.

I'm not saying your for sale thread was dishonest at all all I'm saying is it needs mucho work.

The fact no-one was interested in it seems to back me up here.

CocH1980
31-01-2011, 08:48
So your suggestion would have been to of given it away as it would cost more to do up than to buy one already done up?

Yeah thats would have been a good idea. I feel rather silly now having traded it on for £1200 when I should have got no return and given it to an enthusiast!!

Which again brings me to the point, why would I sell it on here for less than I was trading it on for???? I was mearly offering it at that trade price for members on here as I thought they were passionate about these cars and would want to keep it alive. As you have pointed out though, I was wrong.

As for it not being anywhere near worth £1200 the fact I got that as trade in seems to back me up.

fab
31-01-2011, 11:22
as I thought they were passionate about these cars and would want to keep it alive.

You thought correctly BUT you missed one vital element. The members on here know that mark 1's are money pits and to keep a williams going it had better have been taken care of. Daz knows this Coch1980..and he's not the type of member to assume anything. He will give you fact.

CocH1980
31-01-2011, 13:42
as I thought they were passionate about these cars and would want to keep it alive.

You thought correctly BUT you missed one vital element. The members on here know that mark 1's are money pits and to keep a williams going it had better have been taken care of. Daz knows this Coch1980..and he's not the type of member to assume anything. He will give you fact.

Thats fair enough but I am not sure what he was getting at? Was he suggesting that the car should be given away as I have not spent thousands on a respray, suspension etc when I was already assured £1200? Obviously this is complete madness and a very foolish thing to do. My suggestion was simply that his negative/suggestive comments were not required as it WAS without question worth £1200 as that WAS what I was assured trade in and it WAS what I got. I have no idea how any different can be suggested as to let it go for under this price is total madness for what my situation was.

To sum up I offered my car for the same price as trade in. If you wanted it then great but if not then thats also fine, there was just no need to suggest I was trying to rip someone off as it was not "mint" and in his opinion not worth the £1200. Its very strange as he has not commented on the post that is on here regarding the Williams 3 that has had a massive front end smash and is going for £1200! How will that cost a lot less than mine to repair and get to mint? Ok it was offered as spares or repair, hold on obviously if I had added spares or repair to mine that would make it worth the same!! Answers on a postcard please.

fab
31-01-2011, 14:09
I see your point on what the trade is offering BUT they will throw a fresh set of rubber maybe get the arch's done cheaply and offer a dodgy 3 month warranty ALL of which means squat didly shi* on a williams cause as I said we know that they cost a lot of money to get to mint/concours condition and even just maintain.
Have a look at some of the threads on "williams worth" and you will get an idea how much money these members have thrown at their cars.
Yes it's a fair price you offered it at but I just think that Daz was thinking out loud for himself really:wink:
God sticking my neck out here for you Daz :)

Daz.
31-01-2011, 20:32
Oh ffs - You don't get it.

I'm bored now.

Yawn.

:roll:

CocH1980
31-01-2011, 22:00
Oh ffs - You don't get it.

I'm bored now.

Yawn.

:roll:

Yeah i thought as much :roll: :roll: No idea.

Daz.
31-01-2011, 23:15
Ok, so you bought a williams, well done.

Now where did you go when you bought it?

To a williams forum, where you ask lots of questions about the car you have just bought.

Now how do we answer those questions? Because we know these problems, had issues and faults before and know how to solve them.

We are knowledgable and know whats good and whats bad with a williams.

So you put your williams up for sale at a price you are happy with.

Enthusiasts (who already own a williams or know all about them) look at your for sale thread.

No replies.

No ones interested.

Not even the breakers want to buy it and break it.

I don't know how many times I can say the same thing to you - People have looked and decided it wasn't for them as it would costs more money than they want to pay getting it up to a standard an enthusiast is happy with.

Regardless of if you think it was cheap or not it obviously isn't/wasn't appealing to people.

You got shirty and mardy and blamed the community for letting 'another' williams go to waste.

If you need any more information please ask.

Can I ask if the car has been sold or scrapped or traded in or whatever is happening?

If so can somone lock this thread as it's now of no interest anyway.

Infact what do you even care? you wouldn't have got rid of it and got a new one if you thought it was a good un or worth spending money on?!?! :?

LEIGH-ANNE
31-01-2011, 23:20
Locked by me.

Daz has a point in my opinion, good luck with the sale.

LA