PDA

View Full Version : FAO Guitar players

NaplesValver
02-08-2005, 23:01
Ive had my guitar for nearly 3 years now but i hardly ever play it, whats the best way to learn to play it, im gonna start practicing at least once a day now cause i really wanna play it, ive got a few books but find it frustratin!!!

-->NV

FlamingMonkey
03-08-2005, 09:12
I just found some chords of songs i liked at the time, think I learnt some Guns N roses stuff first, I then went changing the songs I learnt so I built up some chord knowledge then moved onto the lead style of playing, but I still to this day love playing chords cause they are easy [:)]

Guitar playing is ALWAYS gonna be frustrating, I've been playing a few years and evey now and again you reach a plataeu, when you can;t improve, then suddenly you progress.

The first hurdle I reckon is getting your first song to a standard that you and family and friends can recognise, then your flying.

Is there no songs you would like to do that maybe you could pull off?

I started by just getting the tabs and chords from the net, all the info is there available on the net, tons of stuff

Swervin_Mervin
03-08-2005, 11:02
Yep. I got tabs off the net and just practiced that way.

Jeeder
03-08-2005, 21:30
Same as me mate. I bought a guitar with visions of being the next Keith Richard but it sat there for 3 years untouched. I decided to get lesson last month and have one one hour every 2 weeks. The speed at which you'll pick it up is unbelieveable. The mystery has been removed and I understand what i'm doing now. You'll master the basic chords in no time then you'll get used to your hands being in weird positions more and more over time.

The main songs i'm currently playing over and over to practice are:

Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
knockin on Heavens Door - Guns & Roses version (intro's dead easy too and sounds excellent)
Wild Thing - Troggs (same chords as Louie Louie - Kingsmen)
Redemption Song - Bob Marley

Stick with it mate, watching someone who can play a guitar is the bollocks!

Slithers
04-08-2005, 12:41
Get a decent guitar teacher then practise, practise, practise if you hear something you like the sound of try and figure it out on your guitar, doesn't even have to be a guitar track you heard.

Also daytripper by the beatles is a good one to get the fingers workin.

Sanatarium by metallica, andcemetary gates by pantera, piss simple riffs but sound sooooo good when you playin em.

Swervin_Mervin
04-08-2005, 13:01
Sanatarium by metallica, andcemetary gates by pantera, piss simple riffs but sound sooooo good when you playin em.

****ing classics! 8) :twisted:

BTW matt I've got me bass back now and re-stringed it. There's deffo something not right as the g-string is rattling off one of the frets when you play it.

Rich
04-08-2005, 13:25
There's deffo something not right as my g-string is rattling off my ball sack and my neighbour frets when I play it in the front garden

:shock:

Slithers
04-08-2005, 17:50

****ing classics! 8) :twisted:

BTW matt I've got me bass back now and re-stringed it. There's deffo something not right as the g-string is rattling off one of the frets when you play it.

Righto, ill have a look at it and slap a stright edge on it might need a couple of frets re-seating or levelling, ill give you a shout when im fretting my neck and ill have a look at it then if thats ok?.

Swervin_Mervin
04-08-2005, 23:54
Coolio dude.

Gav
07-08-2005, 20:41
i advise you not to get a teacher because they teach you how they play and you may no play your best like that.
Best thing to go is go to www.guitartabs.cc pick a easy one (oasis songs are the easiest, or slash from gnr the godfather theme or white stripes seven nation army) learn how to read a tab then progress, i started off with a crappy 100quid guitar from argos at 14 yrs old knowing nothing, took 3 lessons and hated them cuz they didnt let me play how i wanted to now im 19, own 4 guitars, a Gibson studio slash replica 1500quid worth, and 3 ephiphones, and can play most gnr songs, and many more. Guitar isnt hard to learn just hard to pick up, as soon as you have learnt how to read tabs nothing can stop you.
Plus dont forget, on songs most guitarists use props like a wah wah peddle etc and you add a wah wah to your guitar it sounds nothing like a standard guitar, so it may not be you playing wrong just you dont have the proper kit
(a good wah wah peddle will set you back at least 100quid)