PDA

View Full Version : Mintex 1155's

Wobba
22-10-2010, 23:28
Got some 1155's to replace the Ferodo DS2500's after the trackday had worn them quite low. Apparently they are quite an aggressive spec, not sure they are for the road tbh but I have to say they are really nice. I think Leighanne had the even-more-elite-spec M1166's, but these will do me just fine. Nice bite.

They've just started to squeal a fair bit lol. Dust is noticeable, but not that bad tbh.

Can't remember what I paid, was ages ago...had a delay getting them to me hehe.

I'd rate them over the DS2500's. Didn't really drive LA's car enough after I fitted them to tell you what the M1166's are like, but I think they must be just a bit more extreme :)

If ya want some I am sure she can order them for you.

LEIGH-ANNE
25-10-2010, 10:41
I have to say that this depay was down to the providing company and not me lol.

I dont think your going to actually feel much difference in the 3 grades tbh, unless ur trying the 44's against the 66's.

Yea so i have the 1166's. Mintex come in 3 grades, the 44's 55's and the 66's

The 44's are for general road use. The 55's are for general road use and the occasional track useage. And the 66's are meant for track use. Of course there are no issues with using the 66's on the road, although the squeel does get louder.

And as wobba states, i can provide all at a good rate to WC members. PM me for details.

Clio-Girl
25-10-2010, 11:59
im going to be replacing my brakes shortly as the carbon lorraines as awesome as they squeal way too much and draws lots of attention when driving through town, its frankly embarrasing :oops:

LA are you able to sort me out with a new set of 285mm vented discs and some decent low squeal pads? the Ferodos seem good on Gaz's car and make minimal noise but what is better in your experience?

Laine_16v
25-10-2010, 12:20
The CL RC5+ compound is aparently leagues better in terms brake dust and squeal compared to its predecessor compound RC5.

LEIGH-ANNE
25-10-2010, 12:41
im going to be replacing my brakes shortly as the carbon lorraines as awesome as they squeal way too much and draws lots of attention when driving through town, its frankly embarrasing :oops:

LA are you able to sort me out with a new set of 285mm vented discs and some decent low squeal pads? the Ferodos seem good on Gaz's car and make minimal noise but what is better in your experience?

I can sort you out with a set of those no worries. You ok with using black diamond disks? Or is there a company you want me to use?

I had this convo with the guys who race day in day out at work. They said that the CL's are just over priced to be frank. They use mintex on every car they race unless a customer has specific requirments. Mintex are as good as CL's its just their pricey tag that gives them more credibility. Its not always the most expensive must be the best. These guys have been in the business over 25 years. I trust what they say to be fair.

Mintex will be far better imo over ferodos, but i would go for the 44's if you want minimal sqeel. They are a very good price too! and cheaper than the DS2500's. Would you want these in conjuction with your new disks??

:D

Wobba
25-10-2010, 13:27
I actually rate the 44's over the DS2500's I was using before on the Williams.

I had the 1144's on my Valver, really liked them. The 55's are really good too but they do squeal a bit.

I use 285mm vented discs as well.

Laine_16v
25-10-2010, 13:32
LA's PM'd i want some new pads now :)

Clio-Girl
25-10-2010, 13:56
I can sort you out with a set of those no worries. You ok with using black diamond disks? Or is there a company you want me to use?

I had this convo with the guys who race day in day out at work. They said that the CL's are just over priced to be frank. They use mintex on every car they race unless a customer has specific requirments. Mintex are as good as CL's its just their pricey tag that gives them more credibility. Its not always the most expensive must be the best. These guys have been in the business over 25 years. I trust what they say to be fair.

Mintex will be far better imo over ferodos, but i would go for the 44's if you want minimal sqeel. They are a very good price too! and cheaper than the DS2500's. Would you want these in conjuction with your new disks??

:D

black diamond discs are fine, ive got brembos at the moment but my carbon lorraines have eaten them in about 1500 miles, so i will have to replace both and start afresh.

as for the pads i want as minimal dust and squeal as possible with the best possible braking? i think ive been spoilt with the C/L 's as they are outstanding on the braking performance IMO it will be hard to compete i think. but i have to change for the sake of my sanity and my eardrums!

and yes laine they are the old RC5 so ear piercingly bad.

Wobba
25-10-2010, 14:39

I found the 1155's are not as good as the DS2500's, which in turn are not a patch on the CL RC5+ pads. I'd be amazed if any of the mintex range could come close to the RC5's and last as well as them. They are expensive for a reason, iirc they are carbon and copper composite.

That's on your 172? The brakes are very good on your car, but it is a different braking system to mine and Clio-Girl's.

When I swapped to DS2500's I was disappointed at the slight loss of initial bite, they inspired less confidence in their pedal feel. Under hard braking they were really good but you had to trust them to be good rather than 'feel' them and know they could stop you if need be. The Mintex, 44's and 55's, gave me more pedal feedback and feeling that they are doing their job even at low speed, thus giving me more confidence.

The CL's are great from what I hear but I didn't go for them in the end due to extreme brake dust (on my alloys...no thanks) and a habit for eating discs.

Evogone
25-10-2010, 14:52

I found the 1155's are not as good as the DS2500's, which in turn are not a patch on the CL RC5+ pads. I'd be amazed if any of the mintex range could come close to the RC5's and last as well as them. They are expensive for a reason, iirc they are carbon and copper composite.

F series Mitex pads are very very good but very very expensive.

Max performance cost in disc wear and dust., DS3000,PF, RC6 8) Only Pagid Blues seem to come close with low dust levels.

Clio-Girl
25-10-2010, 14:57
The CL's are great from what I hear but I didn't go for them in the end due to extreme brake dust (on my alloys...no thanks) and a habit for eating discs.

they are AWFUL for brake dust my hi-power silver wheels turn anthracite after 1 journey, and when i clean them i have to layer them up with wheel sealant polish to stop the brake dust from destroying the paint, this process takes me about 2 hrs to do properly, il never get those hours back in my life that ive wasted!!

as brilliant as they are for the above reason i will compensate a bit braking lol

LEIGH-ANNE
25-10-2010, 15:01
Laine and ronee ill get bk to you personally with prices poss later today 8)

Evogone - not if they come from me :wink:

stevie_b
25-10-2010, 16:21
LA - can you source pads for all types of car from all manufacturers (well, it is specifically Pagids that I am after)? I'll PM you some other requirements if you can? Thanks

LEIGH-ANNE
25-10-2010, 17:10
Go ahead and pm me. All types of car is not a problemo

Tommo
25-10-2010, 17:54
I can't believe nobody else on here has tried the Brembo Sport Braking System. I have had this set up on the front for around 3 years with hard road driving and survived Anglesey track day this year with no brake fade and are still going strong now. Don't squeel and don't produce much brake dust either and are very powerful, the guy at NW-Performance seemed impressed with them too when he almost butted the wind screen... :oops:

Anyway for those interetsed here is a link. Not cheap, but worth it imo.

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/163038/renault/brembo-sport-front-brake-pads/07830135.html

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/120414/renault/brembo-drilled-front-brake-discs/fd052000.html

northy
26-10-2010, 08:54
let me know the prices please L

LEIGH-ANNE
26-10-2010, 09:12
Will do R