PDA

View Full Version : throttle bodies

MAGICALWOO
07-09-2010, 18:59
hi guys, new to the forum game but had my williams2 for about 5 years and done very little to it. Was thinking about throttle bodies for extra power gain but don't really know what's what! Any help appreciated.

Laine_16v
07-09-2010, 19:19
Great for noise and a satisfying increase in torque and power, but its not going to blow you away. You get ITB's more for the love of the noise or the way you prefer an N/A car, or get it purely cos your an N/A head like me ;)

Expect to pay around £2.5k for a kit plus fitting, or DIY it and find bargains for a good chunk less.

Oh and get Jenveys ;)

hamloin
04-10-2010, 11:17
Gsxr 1000 or r1 itbs. £100, bogg brows manifold £160, micro squirt from e bay £320,
The result priceless.

schakal
04-10-2010, 11:21
Gsxr 1000 or r1 itbs. £100, bogg brows manifold £160, micro squirt from e bay £320,
The result priceless.

^^^ this 8)

Laine_16v
04-10-2010, 19:28
that is possibly the worst setup you could use, and the results would be pricelessly shit and dissapointing

cliolord
04-10-2010, 19:30
that is possibly the worst setup you could use, and the results would be pricelessly s**t and dissapointing

^^ Sorry lads, he's not far off :?

sideways danny
04-10-2010, 20:16
agree with Laine

FFS that twice in a week :(

robi1000
04-10-2010, 20:35
Would anyone care to explain why?

hamloin
04-10-2010, 22:12
Iv fitted this set up on a couple cars now with fairly good results.
17bhp gain on a otherwise standard meggy 2l
made 165 on f7p with re grind kent cams
made 170 on 106 gti with cams and basic head work.

It may be not as good as emerald and jenvy. but the price is right.
I make my own manifolds and have a friend make me trumpets
so its maximum cheep.

schakal
04-10-2010, 22:47

so its maximum cheep.

still this ^^^ 8) 8)

schakal
04-10-2010, 22:49
INNOVATION > REPLICATION

:wink:

Laine_16v
04-10-2010, 22:56
INNOVATION > REPLICATION

Lol seen the 205 forums?? every one and his dad runs carbs or bike bodies on some cobbled together manifold over there, hardly innovation.

schakal
04-10-2010, 23:03
INNOVATION > REPLICATION

Lol seen the 205 forums?? every one and his dad runs carbs or bike bodies on some cobbled together manifold over there, hardly innovation.

i dont do forum whoring like yourself mate , so no fokkn idea what
you are on about there . as far as i am aware its not a common conversion on the f7p/r engines .

its an innovation when,what you are using costs 2k+ more than
what my good man does up there , same as the guy running the 172
engine on itbs and standard ecu really .

its not all about robbing your dad/nan and putting off the shelf bits together you see :wink:

sideways danny
05-10-2010, 03:05
he's right, there's a loads of them on loads of cars, and the mostly fall off at regular intervals until the owner gets fed up of bits of silicon hose holding their engine together, and they upgrade. Seen it loads on 205s. It's not common on F7's as i dont think anyone ever asked for a manifold to be made. I've seen them floating around on ebay recently though. Trouble is, F7's have massive ports, bike bodies are normally really small

I wont disagree on doing it with a bit of lateral thinking though.

mine ;)

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/sidewaysdanny/IMAG0101.jpg

"honda" itb kit, consisting of toyota bodies on a honda flanged manifold, re-machined to fit the megane head

kj16v
05-10-2010, 08:45

so its maximum cheep.

Well done for building your own. I always have much respect for people who do it themselves. However, not necessarily the greatest results for the amount time spent and bhp/£, compared to just a set of cams and a proper live remap.

I recently mapped a otherwise standard Williams with Piper 270 cams and made just over 177bhp. For just £150, plus the price of the cams, that's hard to beat.

hamloin
05-10-2010, 09:47
That is very good power but if u want more and dont have 2.5k ?
To some of the other remarks. never use sillicone hose its too slippery. either truck heater hose is good as it hardens up and mine have never fallen off. or the best is gsxr itbs seperate to individual bodies so machine a o ring groove and clamp them into the manifold.
Infact if u look on the 106 forum a certan sandy brown is getting better figures than a well known spindle less itb.
look at the forum and see his graphs.
ow yea and both gsxr and r1 itbs have 43mm chokes which may sound a familier size to anyone running jenvys on a 2l.
i have been running vairous motor bike carbs and itbs for like 5 yrs now and have never felt the urge to re mortguage my house for a spendy set. lets not forget it is only a hole with a flap.

Laine_16v
05-10-2010, 12:14
Mmm Sandy Brown cant wait for him to map my motor 8)

sideways danny
05-10-2010, 12:30
Infact if u look on the 106 forum a certan sandy brown is getting better figures than a well known spindle less itb.

That's a combination of things though. Snady is a very clever guy (along with Colin Satchell) and those spindle-less ITBs are, to but it delicately "not great"

hamloin
05-10-2010, 17:37
He is very clever indeed and talking to him is very refreshing as hel only tell u what he has seen himself on the dyno and not guess anything. as it gets annoying when tuners say stuff that they guess and dont actually know. he has spent alot of time on dynos experimenting with trumpet lengths and inlet stuff. but i think this shows that with time and effort good results can be found cheepish.