PDA

View Full Version : light weight pullys.?

thaijedi
17-08-2010, 20:27
ok boys and girls im putting my shopping list together for my willy and would really like some light weight pullys..

any1 no who or were they can b found.. :wink:

robi1000
17-08-2010, 23:49
Pulleys for aux belt (PAS, alternator, aux crank pulley)?

I was thinking about making them for one of my future projects. CNC'd from aircraft grade aluminium.

I've weighted water pump pulley and it weighs about 410g. PAS is similar (but it's a bit smaller), but the one on the crank is really heavy. I'll have all the weights soon. All of them are 1kg+. They are like small flywheels.

Maybe we could make them if people would be interested (group buy of some sort).

Anyone interested?

2 live
18-08-2010, 01:17
underdrive pullies are widely available if you look for them ;)

robi1000
18-08-2010, 08:52
I'm not after underdrive pulleys. I want lighter ones. As far as I've seen there's no rubber or anything between cambelt pulley and aux belt pulley on the crank, so probably there's no harmonic balancer/damper. So even crank pulley is replacable, which is good news because it weighs half a ton. I think engine response would be improved with these.

volymmannen
18-08-2010, 09:37
well even if all the pulleys weighs 1kg total or even 2kg, the diameter of them are so small that the rotating force is nothing compared to the much large and heavier flywheel, so i would recommend getting K-tecs billet 3,7kg fly first, that's a massive loss compared to standard, then you balance all your internal engine components,then you throw away the stock waterpump and get a electric waterpump with a temp controller after that you can start reducing weight on the pulleys

robi1000
18-08-2010, 09:53
That's the plan. I wouldn't do this on my roadcar tho.

thaijedi
22-08-2010, 14:08
ok will I have a light weight billet flywheel and will have the crank worked so just wanted to finnish of with a light weight pulley.

If there was a group buy of if any1 spotted 1 then i'd be intrested