PDA

View Full Version : Suspension geometry and setup

Wobba
09-08-2010, 00:12
Had some time off last week and so I went to a place called Xsport where they can, amongst many other things, get cars set up on all four corners and weigh the vehicle too. I wanted to check the setup as I was sure with all the bits I've 'upgraded' I had a far higher chance to have messed something up.

I've got AST solid top mounts which are obviously adjustable, AVO's all round, camber bolts and the usual track rod ends which all could be out and need adjusting.

The car had 3/4 of a tank in, and it has half an interior (or near enough). It weighed a total of 933kg. Not too bad I thought. It would make it about 906kg with zero fuel I think.

Here is the sheet showing my information. Please note the toe is no longer toeing in, but parallel:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/Williams%20217/File0003.jpg

As you can see, the car is running exactly 3 degrees and one quarter negative camber on both front wheels, this is largely due to the AST's and camber bolt settings, which I got bang on by sight and they didnt need to adjust this.

The technician changed the height of the car as it was too low and imbalanced slightly because of this, so it was raised to get a better offside/nearside weight balance. This will change with a driver in the seat of course, but is much better than it was.

The toe was out, which I knew.

So, all 4 corners weighted and balanced, and other stuff sorted too. A pretty good day, and to top it off the guys that did the work were very informative and had years of experience with cars similar to mine as they are primarily a motorsport preparation outfit. They did a decibel test on my exhaust for me at 5k revs too: 93DBc I believe, so not as bad as I thought ;) Must tell my neighbours that the next time they complain :p

Of course, what matters most is how it feels. Well, low speed manoeuvring and high speed stability are much improved. The front feels a little bit more roly-poly as the height has increased but it gives more feedback as well. Generally speaking its a huge improvement and feels so much more consistent, especially when changing directions under fast-road conditions. Bring on Anglesey :)

katbloke
09-08-2010, 09:58
Wish i had someone local to do this to mine and tell me exactly whats fkd and whats not

Wobba
09-08-2010, 10:24
Yes, I hope it is ready for the track now, just going to change the brake pads and some basic testing sometime this week then that's it.

northy
09-08-2010, 10:31
so is your camber set to max negative ?

Evogone
09-08-2010, 13:42
Rallycar runs 3 and half deg and wears quite even so a road / track car probabley be a 2-3 deg....

If its running a plate diff then it needs to tow out slightly, if its set parallel is will understeer...

talkingfish
09-08-2010, 15:39
who would / can run this sort of check on your car normally?

LEIGH-ANNE
09-08-2010, 19:29
The people i now work for :wink:

talkingfish
09-08-2010, 19:40
The people i now work for :wink:

long way to come....... :roll:

thaijedi
09-08-2010, 22:06
worth it :P

wobba was it xsport racing you went to..?

Wobba
09-08-2010, 22:31
worth it :P

wobba was it xsport racing you went to..?

Yes it was:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/The%20ITB%20Album/IMAG0193.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/The%20ITB%20Album/IMAG0192.jpg

:)

thaijedi
09-08-2010, 22:47
sweet good guys in my town,

they no there sh"t and have made some amaziing cars

Wobba
09-08-2010, 23:09
sweet good guys in my town,

they no there sh"t and have made some amaziing cars

Yep, had quite a chat with them about my car. Gave me some nice advice, couple of them drive my car too and thought it was pretty darn good (for a road car lol) :)

northy
10-08-2010, 08:10
so is your camber set to max negative on the new top mounts / camber bolts?

Tommo
10-08-2010, 12:21
Demon Tweeks do this, I'm tempted to get them to set the car up before Anglesey

Wobba
10-08-2010, 13:57
so is your camber set to max negative on the new top mounts / camber bolts?

Yep :)

northy
10-08-2010, 14:20
did you try the adjustable top mounts with normal struts to get the min and max settings as no one has yet told me what the AST mounts actually give you in degree's lol

Wobba
10-08-2010, 15:58
did you try the adjustable top mounts with normal struts to get the min and max settings as no one has yet told me what the AST mounts actually give you in degree's lol

No sorry. Not sure how much the car has as standard, but the bolts are supposed to give as much as 2 degrees negative I believe, reading the gumf that came with them.

What we CAN do is wait till Leighanne gets hers measured up in the next couple of weeks and see her camber, as I fitted the same camber bolts to her car as well at max negative. She does not have AST top mounts...

schakal
07-09-2010, 09:48
wobbs , how much did this cost you ?
also whats the verdict on handling after running at anglesey ?

Clio-Girl
07-09-2010, 10:38
as above^^^

im interested in getting this done :)

schakal
07-09-2010, 11:21
ohh and anybody know what the camber is as standard
on a clio williams ??

Wobba
21-09-2010, 16:50
Immediately after the setup had been done I noticed how much easier steering was. Generally the car was more pleasant to drive...but I think the toe settings may not be ideal for the diff and harder driving. They centred the toe as it was toeing in a bit before. Thing is, the setup, although easier to live with, was not as aggressive or encouraging in harder driving conditions.

I think it is a case of trial and error to find a drivers preferred setup. An interesting exercise for sure, but if you do it, make sure you know what you want before hand so they set it to your requirements.

For the track day I lowered the car a tiny bit at he front and it straight away become a bit more planted. It wallowed a bit on straight ahead and long fast bends before that, and still does a bit, so need to tweak it a bit more.

The car currently handles like a brick as I had to get the bearing replaced and it messed the geometry up again, it's now toeing in way too much on offside front and I wont bother sorting it until I replace the CV joints next week as they are making lots of rumbling noises as well now (only replaced the fekkers 18 months ago!).

Evogone
21-09-2010, 17:27
Said many times 8) you must set it towing out slightly with a plate diff fitted. If not it just doesnt turn in.

1-1.5mm to out. :roll:

cliokongen
21-09-2010, 20:20
+1 :wink:

Wobba
21-09-2010, 20:21
Yes mate, that's the plan. Toe out next time :)

Evogone
21-09-2010, 21:05
Yes mate, that's the plan. Toe out next time :)

Think i might charge in future....LOL

Will be a different car one you have done this...

LEIGH-ANNE
22-09-2010, 20:29
I can offer geometry setup at work at a decent price. I know its a distance from a few of you tho. We are also installing a rolling road in coming months. So a meet is definatly on the cards with full mag coverage.

I MAY be able to get the camber check on my williams 1 tomorrow at work to check for normal settings.

I can only check what i have my williams 2 at in a few weeks when it goes in for work.

:D