PDA

View Full Version : AST Adjustable top mounts?

ratboyvalver
11-07-2010, 17:03
what are peoples opions on these thinking of getting some for the nana, but dont kow whether to splash out on them or to stick with standard top mounts?

MattL
14-07-2010, 17:49
They don’t fit my shocks, theirs not enough thread. I’m buying some coilovers soon so I will see. These solid mounts are meant for mk2 clio’s. when they tested it on a mk1, the mk1 had 172 shocks on so they fitted. I think you will hav to machine ur shocks.

ratboyvalver
14-07-2010, 18:24
hmmm kam racing site sells them as for mk 1 fittiment did realise that, as i run avo coilovers will i still need to modify them?

MattL
14-07-2010, 18:29
wobba has avo coilovers and they just fit, but i think he had his coilovers machined, not 100% sure.

G33R7
14-07-2010, 21:32
i have them with cup shocks. needed some machining and the new style nut to fit perfect. i really love them. it feels really solid

Wobba
14-07-2010, 23:52
wobba has avo coilovers and they just fit, but i think he had his coilovers machined, not 100% sure.

I've said a lot about these already elsewhere.

To sum up:

On some shocks they are a bit problematic. AST have tried to cover the problems with slightly different designs on various parts, such as the securing nut and caps etc.

Mine are now fine. I am still using the new style nut, which damaged the anodised finish, as with AVO's the old chamfered nut does not reach down far enough to get onto the AVO thread.

AST have sent me almost a complete kit of stuff to swap over to a newer design, and I have used these apart from the undamaged anodised part as I know they will just get ****ed again anyway.

Biggest problem with them was the new nut, where it catches the top mount, unwinds itself, thus causing the mount to knock badly. It has stopped mostly now, but I needed to really knock it into position and bolt it in fully to get it right and it still has loosened itself a little on each side again once in about 2 months now.

They are good, and have sharpened up the handling and feel nicely. The AVO's before had a kind weird drifty feeling before, gone now.