PDA

View Full Version : Reliability vs Performance vs Hassle

Wobba
17-05-2010, 20:42
I've not collected my car from APD yet and I am already thinking of next years big outlay.

By then I will probably have a second car, and possibly even a place to store 2nd car or 0217.

Is it worth having the bottom end rebuilt and changed to high compression? I have heard gains can be had from just a good rebuild, where tolerances etc are measured and the whole thing isn't just chucked together like a jumble sale. True? I would imagine general engine longevity is improved with a rebuild, so it would probably be wise to do anyway and whilst it's apart get some Wossner pistons on it right?

I have a spare Williams 700 block which needs a full rebuild. However, I have the more efficient 714 block on the car itself. Which to go for a high comp conversion?

Of course, another option could be to go low compression and run a supercharger as well as ITB's...even low boost would see a noticeable gain, my concerns being things like traction off the line and actually keeping the thing in a straight line at full throttle lol. Has anyone done this with ITB's as well before with an F7R? Any vague idea of costs? It may be the expense is so high I may just decide to go and buy another R32 Skyline or something.

Now, with the car as it is, I am using standard downpipe and manifold. I will be happy with that for now but I will be looking to go for a change before next summer, along with engine rebuild and mapping. Can anyone recommend a TOP quality manufacturer for hand made manifolds where they know what they are doing? Has to look good and I will probably have it, and a downpipe, coated in ceramic shite too, which I know can be quite expensive.

So:

Rebuild a bottom end
High comp
Supercharger?
Mani & D/P
Mapping on Emerald K3 ECU

Assuming my car rocks when I get it back I'll probably give APD my spare engine to rebuild to spec, he can play with that for ages as I wont be in a hurry, so no stress there this time.

Any other ideas? There are 225 cams in there at mo. Maybe madder ones? Not really that experienced with mad cams so have no idea what to expect.

What I DONT want is a car that's a bitch to drive, or one that makes it to Santa Pod then blows up.

Reliability is Key here, I think many would agree that the gearbox is the weak point. Any alternative options there?

Answers on a postcard guys and gals. Help me spend my loadsa money in Autumn 2011...

ThRaXaIR
17-05-2010, 20:56
charger and ITB's? dude u crazy!!

Evogone
17-05-2010, 21:04
Wobba get your car back and get it running with current spec, should be a flier.

Stop worrying about what it's going to be like and what should i do next...!! I used to worry what about this then that on the rally car but getting better about just driving it and enjoying it, which is what its all about.

Enjoy the bloody thing :wink: dont let paranoia set in or you wont sleep at night and it will take over your life.....what if what if...

Just some words from a man who is a very fussy perfectionist... :D

LEIGH-ANNE
17-05-2010, 21:11
Enjoy the bloody thing :wink: dont let paranoia set in or you wont sleep at night and it will take over your life.....what if what if...

He wont listen...

richy
17-05-2010, 21:17
Answers on a postcard guys and gals. Help me spend my loadsa money in Autumn 2011...

as pointed out stop worrying/thinking about it all, just send the money my way and you will soon forget about all that malarky!

ThRaXaIR
17-05-2010, 21:25
Wobba get your car back and get it running with current spec, should be a flier.

Stop worrying about what it's going to be like and what should i do next...!! I used to worry what about this then that on the rally car but getting better about just driving it and enjoying it, which is what its all about.

Just some words from a man who is a very fussy perfectionist... :D

yeh im with this man, i was always worrying about my spec, but now im so happy just taking it on track an getting better everytime the thrill is immense...so in summary Mr Daniel...spend those hard earned reddies on track days not more parts!! and let me know which days your going on so i can tag along ;)

2 live
17-05-2010, 21:29
or send me the car when its finished n il enjoy it for ya......u can be as paranoid as you want about it then... ;)

Coops
17-05-2010, 22:00
lmao, you want more power yet reliability, dude you crazy ;-)

you do know its a clio right??? :lol:

Wobba
17-05-2010, 22:03
Well, I cant stop worrying about my car rill I get it back now can I? My brains going ten to the dozen with giving up cigarettes at the moment!

Of course, I will love the car when I get it back and I may just say 'no more' and be sensible Wobba for a while and buy somewhere to live instead or something.

BUT, what if......

Coops
17-05-2010, 22:04
i'd bin the lot and just turbo it :wink:

robi1000
17-05-2010, 22:05
:popcorn1:

2 live
17-05-2010, 22:14
Well, I cant stop worrying about my car rill I get it back now can I? My brains going ten to the dozen with giving up cigarettes at the moment!

Of course, I will love the car when I get it back and I may just say 'no more' and be sensible Wobba for a while and buy somewhere to live instead or something.

BUT, what if......

sit back, chill out, and get the bong goin ;)

vkosho
17-05-2010, 22:33

BUT, what if......

Lolz 2 live. :wink:

Wobba sounds like you have too much money. Maybe invest some or give some to charity? or buy a RWD that can handle your mental power plans.

Wobba
17-05-2010, 22:34

BUT, what if......

Hahaha, I'd love to mate, but no smoking of any kind at mo!!! It's probably just what I need lol. Sadly, I've turned to the bottle instead over the last 3 weeks.

Purple
18-05-2010, 01:58
Keep the upgraded clio as is, and buy a very, very motorbike.

Purple
18-05-2010, 01:59
... very, very fast motorbike.

Wobba
18-05-2010, 16:02
lol and die horribly in a shitty mess :D

Maybe I will.

For now I will leave the car and save up. Go on nice holiday. Make home nice. Buy new TV for granny. Do track days!

Coops
18-05-2010, 16:42
then turbo it ;-)

ThRaXaIR
18-05-2010, 17:50
i told you to do trackdays like 10 posts back!!!! :P

yeh dont get a motorbike....unless you want to look like a lame power ranger.

2 live
18-05-2010, 18:48

BUT, what if......

Hahaha, I'd love to mate, but no smoking of any kind at mo!!! It's probably just what I need lol. Sadly, I've turned to the bottle instead over the last 3 weeks.

hmmm iv swapped the green......for the green bottles that houses stella too......bad move methinks lol

altho i have knocked the vodka in the head....was just gettin a bit silly :twisted:

Wobba
18-05-2010, 19:53

BUT, what if......

hmmm iv swapped the green......for the green bottles that houses stella too......bad move methinks lol

altho i have knocked the vodka in the head....was just gettin a bit silly :twisted:

I've heard alllll about you 2 Live lol.

The wife beater makes me aggressive, and gives me headaches. I stay away!

Nothing wrong with a bit of vodka occasionally!

Turbo's, well, I like turbo's I really do, but for me the Williams needs to remain true to it's roots and stay N/A at the very least.

If it were a R5...I'd be around the 300hp figure by now as boost is the easy option really, but I dont want that.

Coops
18-05-2010, 20:48
boost boost, you love boost :wink:

true to its roots? you've put a bright orange cam pulley cover on it, your not williams faithful, who you kidding young wobbanory ;-)

2 live
18-05-2010, 21:37
its alll lies mate ;)

boost is the easy way out. like nos. imho.

the hard part, as you so rightly say....is getting the power n/a. ;)

2 live
18-05-2010, 23:11
hard is more satisfying.

when u do it yerself anyway.

being the 1st to do something is a massive boost .... again, especially when youv done it yourself.

as above. boost is the easy way to more power. and theres no denying that it works, but just imagine that boost on an engine thats running soooooo much more than std to start with.

dhay14
19-05-2010, 00:46
ill just join the boost lovers... there is nothing that beats boost in my books so far....

turbo it

16v_paddy
19-05-2010, 02:24
What I DONT want is a car that's a bitch to drive, or one that makes it to Santa Pod then blows up.

Well if that's the case get rid of the french heap of shit engineering & get something better that will do exactly the same thing or STFU & use the scum shuttle instead :wink: :P

Wobba
19-05-2010, 10:42

Well if that's the case get rid of the french heap of s**t engineering & get something better that will do exactly the same thing or STFU & use the scum shuttle instead :wink: :P

Not cutting holes in the car. Wont do anything just yet that I cannot undo. I may return the car to standard one day. Also, I like my 'french heap of s**t engineering'. When it breaks, it gives me something to do, plus I have a reason to come to my favourite web forums :)

Jon: Yea, your car is the nuts. I know I will never get the power of a blown car with n/a, but if I go that route I will probably do it with another car.

vkosho
19-05-2010, 17:32
Im not against boost on valvers and willy 2s maybe.

N/A for origional willys though. Something to do with retaining the soul i think.

[-o<

vkosho
19-05-2010, 17:36
Boost sounds really chavy anyway. :roll:

ITB's are just rude! 8)