PDA

View Full Version : Garage floors/heating/a pit recomendations please.

edde
25-07-2005, 20:04
As some of you might now parents are having a garge built but seeing the mess I've made on the driveway when changing oils etc I want to try and keep this clean.

It should b a 10 or so ft wide garage long enough for two Clio plus a workbench and a little extra space.
Its achually going to be 21 feet wide but due to the way its built its going to have a wall built splittting in into half with an archway in the middle of the partition wall.

Since I own two Clios its going to be used extensively all year so has anyone any recomendatiosn regards.

1) Heating it (preferably very cheap as I'm piky) there thick walls all round it plus then normal garage walls and the area has a few houses so wind isn't a huge issue. House is right nest to to with gas and electricisty.

3) Recomendations regard some floor material. I thorght that solid rubber stuff as its easy to wipe but how easy is it to puncture. and is it ok to park a car + jack a car on without breaking.

4) Pit, there no space under the car as it is but pits leak and I'm not keen on bucketing it out when they leak. I thought maybe a load of sleaper (I can get them cheapish) and make ramps say 2 foot tall to drive car onto. and have them mounted to the floot maybe.

Height isn't a huge issue the roofs going to be about 7 feet high and there a loft above.

Thanks for any advice.

katbloke
25-07-2005, 20:10
Floorwise just paint the screed with a high quality oil resistant paint

FATBOY
25-07-2005, 20:14
best bet for heating would be to find a cheap used wall hung boiler(i would if it was mine seeing as im a plumber wouldnt be expensive for me) and find some old rads

katbloke
25-07-2005, 20:29
Also a dehumidifier maybe a good purchase keep those bench tools from rusting

edde
25-07-2005, 20:41
best bet for heating would be to find a cheap used wall hung boiler(i would if it was mine seeing as im a plumber wouldnt be expensive for me) and find some old rads
Is it possible to extend the normal central heating to the garage after all the boilers one of these which makes unlimited hot wanter and is oversizzed by the last onwer of the house plus it right next to the garage realy.

FATBOY
25-07-2005, 20:52
you could possibly fit one in the garage?? but i dont know if you would have to fit a frost stat(a frost stat is a stat thats mounted on the wall that tells the heating to come on when the temperature drops to a number) a frost stat is normally fitted next to the boiler when a boiler is fitted in a garage or outbuilding!

Swervin_Mervin
25-07-2005, 22:13
My mates new gaff has a pit but I haven't seen it yet so can't check out what happens if it gets water in!