PDA

View Full Version : Sequential Gearbox

Wobba
12-04-2010, 19:21
Ok, Stan showed me his sequential box the other day and it got me thinking.

What setup would work on it, i.e. what gearbox would I need to use with it? Could I get a dog box or something and make it work? Do you need a specific 'box?

Where can I locate a sequential shift system and can I modify them to be used off other cars or are they generally universal?

Justin..
12-04-2010, 19:40
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/sequential-gearbox.htm/printable

this might help

robi1000
12-04-2010, 21:36
There are 3 types of gearboxes. Your usual H-pattern one, dogbox and sequential.

Main difference between normal gearbox and dogbox are gears inside the gearbox. Dogbox has straight cut gears which can be made stronger and don't need synchronising when shifting up. Why are not all gearboxes made with straight gear teeth? Because they are loud. They produce similar whining noise as when normal gearbox is broken. :D
Bottom line, with dogbox you keep H-pattern but there's less work clutch and shifts are generally faster. Prices for dogbox depend on quality. But usually in the range of 3-7000€.

Sequential transmissions are more complicated pieces of kit that need computer control. Main difference is that gearchanges are sequential. That means you cannot shift from 2nd gear to 4th in one go. By selecting gears sequentially, gearbox operation becomes faster (I think it's limited by hidraulic pressure, more pressure gives faster changes). Bad sides are more frequent rebuilds and price. I think it's about 15000€ new and about 5-7000€ used.

robi1000
12-04-2010, 21:40
Oh and you can keep your gearbox housing if you buy just straight cut gears from Bacci, Sadev, Quaife,...

Sequential gearbox is completely different and no parts are interchangable with your regular gearbox.

robi1000
12-04-2010, 21:50
http://www.racedandrallied.com/rally-cars-for-sale/rally-cars-parts-for-sale/renault-clio-172-rs-new-sadev-dogbox

Wobba
12-04-2010, 22:08
Ahhhh oooh. Ok

Helpful, cheers. My diff will make my box sound harsh anyway. Maybe big fat dogbox would be nice instead.

Wont bother for a while though :)

MAXIBOY
14-04-2010, 20:24
http://www.swrmotorsport.com/main/6_speed_sequential.htm

ThRaXaIR
14-04-2010, 21:41
Ahhhh oooh. Ok

Helpful, cheers. My diff will make my box sound harsh anyway. Maybe big fat dogbox would be nice instead.

Wont bother for a while though :)

was gunna say daniel, you robbed a bank or something!??!

Wobba
14-04-2010, 22:54
http://www.swrmotorsport.com/main/6_speed_sequential.htm

Now THAT'S the shit right there!!!

TU engine, that's for the pugs and shitroens though :(

Yes, ramraids in the Williams have been most profitable lately!

MAXIBOY
15-04-2010, 01:17
does fit the clio too..but arond 6 k new with all the bits

zmaster2k
15-04-2010, 07:12
ktec have that box,

think its been in most of their cars now too. from their 350bhp R5gtt to their itb'd mk2

Wobba
15-04-2010, 09:40
does fit the clio too..but arond 6 k new with all the bits

Ahh nice. 6k isn't too bad I guess :)

Evogone
15-04-2010, 10:59
More like 9k when you include, shifter, gear indicator, flat shift etc....

Wobba
15-04-2010, 12:58
It's not the money, it's all the bloody work and time off the road that concerns me. maybe when I get a hybrid for sprints/hillclimbs or something I'll do it.

Evogone
15-04-2010, 19:33
It's not the money, it's all the bloody work and time off the road that concerns me. maybe when I get a hybrid for sprints/hillclimbs or something I'll do it.

You can get a Mk2 cup racer with clicky box for cheaper than a brand new clicky set up itself.... :?

Wobba
15-04-2010, 20:03

You can get a Mk2 cup racer with clicky box for cheaper than a brand new clicky set up itself.... :?

To be honest that would be a better option, as then I could just get it ready for track or sprints etc and it should be all FIA'd up :D

I've seen a few places that offer the odd Cup for sale...later generation clio's mostly.

Trouble is my road car is almost at a high enough madness level for racing as it is lol!!! (Well, it will be soon I hope :( )