PDA

View Full Version : Nick Reads old Turbo Valver :) £2,500

TurboValver
01-03-2010, 19:53
I Bought this car with the intentions of doing it up as a bit of a project. I have got it to the stage I want and now its time for someone to enjoy my hard work. The car is ready to drive away as it has a fresh 12 month MOT and 6 months Tax.

Milage is almost 69,000

The car is a 1993 ‘L’ Reg Renault Clio 16v which has been resprayed in Subaru Sonic Blue. It’s had a full BB Performance Tuning high boost turbo upgrade using a T28/T3 Hybrid turbo with fully forged internals; the boost pressure is both charge-cooled and intercooled. I have BB Performance receipts for this conversion totalling over £6,000. It is certainly no bodge job as the conversion was completed over 7 years ago and nothing has gone wrong with it yet!! It is a very reliable engine, it never overheats or anything due to the low temp thermostat.

The car pulls very well, handles very well and sounds awesome on full boost the exhaust pops and bangs on overrun, and it stops as well as it goes due to the 4 pots - it’s a lot of fun to drive! No unusual noises or nasty knocks it is mechanically sound. I reckon it could quite easily handle more boost with a 3 bar map sensor, some bigger injectors and a fresh map. But this engine has been built to last and it certainly shows.

I have done some research on the car as it is fairly famous in the Williams and 16v Clio circles as apparently it was the first Mk1 16v Clio turbo conversion completed in the UK and was also the fastest Clio (1/4 mile) in the UK at one point.

Car has done a 13.3 @ 107 ¼ mile with the previous owner.
I have a printout from a rolling road @ 220bhp / 195lb/ft.

I have receipts for this car an inch thick totalling over £25,000.

The car needed a service (oil/ oil filter change and brand new plugs) which its had less than 50 miles ago.

Ill start with the good points:

ENGINE
1.8 16v F7P engine
- Block overbored slightly too almost 1800
BB Performance Tuning High Boost Turbo conversion: (the bits I know it has are)
- Steel Rods
- Forged Low Compression Turbo pistons (7.5:1)
- T28/T3 Hybrid Garrett blower (Boosting @ 15psi)
- Cast manifold
- Custom steel downpipe
Fully modified Hill Power head
Chrome Charge Cooler (which runs off its own independent electric water pump)
PACE alloy intercooler
Carbon fibre turbo heat shield
Low temp thermostat
Combination of Hill Power/ Samco fluorescent yellow silicone hoses
Red Magnecor KV85 silicone plug leads
Chrome Forge dump valve
Power Boost Valve
Custom 3” bore side exit Powerflow exhaust
Green cotton oil breather in custom chrome catch tank
Chrome Header tank
Chrome charge cooler header tank
Setrab 13 row oil cooler (unfitted)
Braided oil cooler lines from sandwich plate
Braided turbo oil feed
Copper radiator
Low temp fan switch
High output starter motor
400bhp fuel pump
Standard ECU flash mapped by Fastchips

TRANSMISSION
Brand new Helix 4 Paddle cerametallic Clutch
JC5 Williams Gearbox (just had brand new oil).

EXTERIOR
17” OZ Chrono EVO 5 spoke alloys in deep anthracite grey
Windows tinted black
Custom front bumper / skirts
Laguna splitter
Rear bumper has bump strips smoothed
Tailgate smoothed
Rear ‘afterburner’ lights colour coded
Front ‘angel eye’ headlights
Rounded ‘DTM style’ wing mirrors

BRAKES
4 Pot Hi-Spec front callipers
325mm two piece Hi-Spec discs with alloy bells
Brand new DS2500 Ferodo front pads
Braided front brake lines
Brand new master cylinder (just fitted)
Dot 5:1 Racing brake fluid

INTERIOR
Sparco steering wheel
Safety Devices 4 point rear roll cage in black
Blue Cobra bucket seats on custom Cobra mounts to the original Clio rails (Seats were FIA Approved – now ran out)
6 point Sparco harnesses
Sparco pedals
Standard Oil pressure/Temp and level gauges (all working)
Carbon boost gauge
Carbon air/fuel gauge
Rear is stripped out
Battery relocated into the boot
Williams (blue) carpet
Momo gearknob

SUSPENSION
Fully adjustable Gaz coilovers all round
Chrome front strut brace
Some Powerflex polybushes fitted (ARB’s and a few other places)

SECURITY
Scorpion thatchcam cat 1 alarm/immobiliser.

Have a search on here and (dare I say it) cliosport.net for bits of history on the car.

The shell is in good condition with no rust.

Bad Points
The car was crashed by the previous owner, the damage was minimal however it needed a new bonnett, grille, headlights and front panel.
A new Genuine Renault front panel was been fitted by the guy who had it (obviously not much experience with a welder) in a manner that can only be described as shocking! Hence the headlight position. The car has passed an MOT after some adjustment of the headlights but it has basically been welded on in the wrong place(!) and could certainly do with unpicking and welding back on properly.The pictures show this, it has basically been welded on about an inch too far over to the passenger side.

All I wanted to do was fix the car up to a mechanically sound point, get it taxed and tested, have some fun and sell it on, aesthetics were not on my list.

The car has some scratches on it, one I shamefully have to own up to one myself as my girlfriend guided me out of our (very narrow – in my defence) driveway and scraped the rear quarter panel – Never trust women. Ever. Before my ownership it also had a couple of scratches on the boot where it seems someone has keyed it. And a small patch of filler on the sill? Unexplainable as the sills have no filler in them! And a couple of chips on the A post.

If you were using this as a track car these wouldn’t make any difference. If you wanted the paintwork tidying up before you bought it I would get it ding/scratch free for an additional £250. This by any standards – is extremely cheap.

Boot solenoid is broken – boot doesn’t open because of this (It can be opened but two bolts have to be removed to do this).

Needs a grille and the plastic strips from under the headlights.

Oil cooler isn’t fitted, however I do have it. (The braided oil cooler lines are temporarily capped off instead).

Rear bumper bump strips have been smoothed and have now cracked - this is nothing but the age of the car showing.

The chrome coating on the rocker cover has flaked off.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01034.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01035.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01037.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01040.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01041.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01042.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01044.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01045.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01046.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/ashleydean08/Turbo%20Clio/DSC01047.jpg

£3200

1995clio16v
01-03-2010, 21:18
Good luck with the sale. I live in Preston. Suprisingly never ever seen this knocking round.

Must say, I remember this being on ebay about 7 years ago and went for about 8k. I saved pictures of it on an old HD thinking man I want it, want one when im older.

Amazing how modified cars date so much over standard viewing this today.

zmaster2k
01-03-2010, 21:23
i still want it.....but that front end is shocking!

id change the front and rear lights.....thats it.... maybe interior seats

2 live
01-03-2010, 22:59
thats more than adi paid for it in mint condition...fuk me....amazing to see how badly its been treated for a car that had so much time/effort put into it by previous owners.

TurboValver
02-03-2010, 10:20
Yes unfortunately the owner before me didnt really give a sh!t about the car he knew nothing. If it wasnt for me I dont think this car would still be around.

The front end actually looks a lot worse in the pix than it really is. all it needs is a new front panel/ grill and its fixed. I wish it had just been supplied to me with the parts to fix it instead of the bodge job that he did. :(

Engine is still doing the job though. Its absolutely rapid.

ollie16v
02-03-2010, 12:21
Probably better re-shelling it that front end is a mess. Still could be a good project for someone...

Tommo
02-03-2010, 12:52
Would be perfect as a sprint car, or a dedicated track car. I wouldn't care about the looks tbh as it goes like stink! lol! It's just not going to win any concours awards... :o

TurboValver
02-03-2010, 13:14
Probably better re-shelling it that front end is a mess. Still could be a good project for someone...

its isnt bent, i think re shelling it for the sake of a front panel is sligfhtly extreme. Its the pictures that make it look worse than it is, you can see that the headlights are tight up on the right hand side as you look at the pic. the front panel only needs cutting off at both ends and re-welding back on an inch to the left.

The other spaces will be filled up with a grill and the plastic strips that go underneath the headlights.

It really isnt that bad. It isnt bent or anything the damage didnt reach the inner or even outer wings.

zmaster2k
02-03-2010, 14:24
fix it then?

TurboValver
02-03-2010, 14:29
Would there be any more interest in it if i did fix it??

zmaster2k
02-03-2010, 14:31
Makes sence really dossnt it?

Time it takes you to fix it is free?

get the rocker painted/ tidied? bobs your uncle...

still have a real soft spot for this motor! dont have £3k though?!

TurboValver
02-03-2010, 18:50
i know what you are saying, ive already spent quite a bit of time on this car already! although it may not look it, it was a real shambles when i got it.

Ill get the front fixed up and get some new pix up.

Coops
02-03-2010, 22:32
ai shame to see it like that mate, if its a simple fix it would be more than worth while getting it sorted before sale

northy
05-03-2010, 23:10
met up with the owner of this car and he was kind enough to take me out in it - had a big smile on my face as soon as he set off. BRUTAL acceleration.

Shame i never got a ride when nick had it to compair but it still very very quick - and the boy can certainly drive. He had my arse twitching on the first corner and my foot pressing non existant brake pedal haha.

Had a quick look at the front end too - its had a 1.2 front panel welded on, looks to be 1" out on the drivers side, no damage that i can see to the inner wings. Some has made up some tabs to link the inner wing to the new panel. Looks like its just out at the top of the slam panel as the rear was welded ok from what little i could see

If it was me i would get another front end and fit it correctly. Not sure what it was like under the front bumper.

Definatly worth saving this one lads - if i had the cash spare it would of been sold at the end of the first gear change and get it back to how it was when nick had it. MINT!

Rear arches and sills look too have evaded the dreaded rust as does the full car.

Good luck with the sale mate.

1995clio16v
06-03-2010, 00:11
Rear arches and sills look too have evaded the dreaded rust as does the full car

Good spot. They look to have held up immaculately.

simonr85
08-03-2010, 15:07
i can vouch for what ash (turbovalver)has done to this car since he has had it, it was in a really bad state when he bought it, as i wanted it too but just didnt (and still dont have cash too)

i still havent had that drive in it yet tho ash??? :D

TurboValver
08-03-2010, 18:34
Nice to have met you Northt and cheers for the kind words. It is a shame about this one, the only reason im selling it is because im growing out of it all now to be honest. Im after a car that wont have me led on my back every weekend messing around fixing bits of things.

Not that this has broken on me or anything but you know what i mean! Unmodified!

:cry:

Im getting old. lol

Im going to give it a go fixing it up anyway and ill have some more pictures up in the meantime, this thing is getting used as my daily at the moment though! :shock:

Watch this space.

Ash.

simonr85
09-03-2010, 12:11
, the only reason im selling it is because im growing out of it all now to be honest.

faggot! :lol:

diditno
09-03-2010, 21:12
if you fancy floggin the front bumper, let me know.

TurboValver
10-03-2010, 09:19
Guys I have now finally managed to source the car I have been searching for - A 98' spec Integra Type R so the Clio price is getting slashed for a quick sale. Iam going to look at it this week up in Edinburgh - Iam a Honda man at heart you see.

The car will also come with a standard set of ph2 back lights I got from Northy, a set of front lights and a ph2 grill and also a second hand helix 4 paddle clutch.

Im cutting the price down to £2500 for a quick sale - and if someone does come and buy before this Sunday they can take it for £2400. Im making a loss on this not to mention the hundred or so hours of my own time ive already put into rectifying this car.

You cant say fairer than that. If not, on Monday it will be going up on ebay until it sells.

Just thought id give you boys first refusal.

Ash

TurboValver
10-03-2010, 16:59
Also, (mods) any chance of the price being changed in the title??
(to £2500)

cheers,
Ash

northy
10-03-2010, 17:10
consider it done

Coops
10-03-2010, 20:13
bargain really now, wish i had the cash laying about as i'd have this bugger for that price. its a 12-13 second motor

hope it shifts mate 8)

tony16v
10-03-2010, 21:16
if only you had been nearer...

midge
10-03-2010, 21:17
bit to far for me, well actually its very to far.
good price..

simonr85
10-03-2010, 23:02
come on ash do me an interest free loan!

I dont know y ur gettin more jap crap, we have already proved a lightly tuned williams is as quick as a heavily tuned teg R engine in a lighter CRX :lol:

so imagine that turbo go!

TurboValver
11-03-2010, 13:14
Iam willing to travel with this car if someone paypal's me a decent (non refundable) deposit first.

Northy has already stated this car does not dissapoint. All major tasks taken care of, all it needs is a few weekends work and a couple of hundred quid (literally) to bring it back up to scratch.

Its very reliable im using this as my daily driver at the mo. No problems yet, not even so much as a sign of one. Its worth the money in parts alone.

Si - each to their own my friend :)
Follow me down the twisties in my new baby and ill show you what I mean :twisted:

I was born to travel at 9000rpm.

simonr85
11-03-2010, 13:29
I was born to travel at 9000rpm.

haha :lol:

midge
11-03-2010, 20:41
Once you go Jap you realise its cra... not as good as you thought ;)

i live in south east london, fancy the trip?

TurboValver
12-03-2010, 08:48
Not bothered, as long as you cough up the spondoolies when I get there!

Drop me a PM if you are seriously interested.

Ash.

bill.
12-03-2010, 10:46
how much would it cost to pay for someone to put this engine in another valver?

northy
12-03-2010, 11:35
wouldnt be hard, depends on what work was done to mount the rads etc.

TurboValver
12-03-2010, 11:46
Mounts are the same, nothing (i dont think) is any different from any other valver / williams. I used to have a valver and changed 3 gearboxes on that and a clutch. This one Ive changed the clutch.

Every time engine out, its not that bad of a job. Nothings been cut or modified from standard on this one Ive checked.

Unsure what you mean by the rad Northy? I take it the radiator? But it seems to me like its been mounted in the standard place??

Dont get me wrong, its a bloody tight fit in there, engine wont go in/ come out with the alternator on!

TurboValver
12-03-2010, 11:48
battery needs to be relocated into the boot thats about it.

Unsure actually why you would want to do this anyway, its going to be far easier working with what you have got here as a base.

Coops
12-03-2010, 12:14
northy is reffering to the charge and oil cooler rads i think mate, but they're a piece of piss to mount, just self tapping screws or little bolts to the front cross member, one rad at top one at bottom for oil cooler and chargecooler then route the pipes, plenty of space! 8)

TurboValver
12-03-2010, 13:39
I think "plenty" when referring to the room is a bit of a strong word mate!

lol

Coops
12-03-2010, 15:06
don't be soft, loads of room in mine to wiggle everything in, although i do have girls hands :wink: :lol:

bill.
12-03-2010, 23:37
i might just have a sniff at it on ebay

ClioDan87
14-03-2010, 15:52

its isnt bent, i think re shelling it for the sake of a front panel is sligfhtly extreme. Its the pictures that make it look worse than it is, you can see that the headlights are tight up on the right hand side as you look at the pic. the front panel only needs cutting off at both ends and re-welding back on an inch to the left.

The other spaces will be filled up with a grill and the plastic strips that go underneath the headlights.

It really isnt that bad. It isnt bent or anything the damage didnt reach the inner or even outer wings.

you obviously don't have a clue what your on about so why try to bullshit? Puts me even more off the car.

TurboValver
17-03-2010, 09:35
Dont buy it then??

Cars on ebay now anyway at half the price again.

Problem is I think the starter motor has packed up? Or I maybe the bettery has collapsed? Either way it wont start.

Check the listing anyway.

Ash.

northy
17-03-2010, 10:38
dont end the auction early ash - let it run!!! :wink:

tony16v
17-03-2010, 16:22
I've put a bid in...

MatBrown
17-03-2010, 16:51
I'm watching. :wink:

Mat.

tony16v
18-03-2010, 20:02
Anyone be able to collect it for me?? I'm willing to pay the going rate...

MatBrown
18-03-2010, 20:27
I can.

Mat.

TurboValver
19-03-2010, 08:43
When you say collect how exactly are you going to collect it Mat?

TurboValver
19-03-2010, 08:49
How? have you got a trailor or something?
It wont start remember.

tony16v
19-03-2010, 10:00
I think both have access to trailers....

I just wanted to make sure that I had a means of collection 'IF' I win on ebay, as I dont want to mess you about...

Cheers Tony.

northy
19-03-2010, 11:11
give mr brown first refusal on delivery tony, but if he doesnt want to do it let me know.

Pm'ed you for your postcode.

adiclio16v
19-03-2010, 15:20
i didnt think this was still around
it was mint when i had it its a pity about the front end damage
how long as the oil cooler been off for because it still used to get really hot with it fitted when giving it some

i bought it originally off nick when he sold it i paid about 5k for it and 2 of my mates had it after me then it went out of the area and id heard it had been damaged

my misses wants it now

TurboValver
19-03-2010, 15:34
Oil cooler had been off for about 2 weeks? if that.

If you want it back your welcome to have a bid :wink:

This needs collecting next week though, i cant afford to mess about waiting. This is a QUICK sale its the reason its so cheap. Im going to loose my deposit on my new car next sunday.

This car is worth twice what its at at the moment in pieces! Its an absolute steal. If I had the time to break it I would, but I dont.

simonr85
20-03-2010, 18:55
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-Turbo-Hybrid-220bhp-195lb-ft-Williams-Blue_W0QQitemZ250598271051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutom obiles_UK?hash=item3a58d2284b - LINK TO AUCTION!

northy
21-03-2010, 21:15
someone got a bargin! anyone we know ?

Jamie.
21-03-2010, 21:34
Blimey. I think alot more people on here may have taken a punt if we knew it would have gone for that little.

northy
21-03-2010, 21:48
eye, i was under orders not to get any more cars as i would of had this and taken the engine out for 0171.

Jamie.
21-03-2010, 23:41
Lol. More cars. Matbrown better be looking over his shoulder.

midge
22-03-2010, 00:01
someones laughing at the price they won that for.
i was trying desperatly to get a space cleared for this, and ill have 2 spaces on wednesday :|

TurboValver
22-03-2010, 09:21
Its all well and good the talk now but you could see the car was on for 1000 with no reserve.

Absolute steal, I thought id got it cheap! oh well.

Ill be glad to see the back of this one.

Got the new car now :)

Coops
22-03-2010, 11:02
bloody hell, wish i'd kept an eye out for that auction ending, i forgot! :(

northy
10-11-2011, 09:20
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230698538067&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:GB:1123

wing mirrors from this car are for sale on ebay. The Car was sold on a year earlier according to the seller privately. He took this and the spoiler off from what i can see.

I sold the car last year. These are the decent bits I took off it to sell. Iv only just got round to selling them now!

I sold it ages ago privately so I don't have a clue. Sorry

zmaster2k
10-11-2011, 18:15
Different mirrors there bud....nicks car had Mattig mirrors as seen in first post ;-)

This car has also now been brutally killed cut in half for scrap

northy
10-11-2011, 22:58
eye they do look a bit different on a second look