PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines...

1995clio16v
26-10-2009, 20:31
Is it worth renewing the whole shooting match whilst car is stripped bear?

Heard/Seem to remember its a bitch of a job?

Do you get these from Renault? Any idea on costs?

:shock:

schakal
26-10-2009, 20:56
you get them made on the car or take the old ones out to make new
ones with a brake line making kit .

as always , if it aint broke dont fix it !! :D

richy
26-10-2009, 21:04
Is it worth renewing the whole shooting match whilst car is stripped bear?

Heard/Seem to remember its a bitch of a job?

Do you get these from Renault? Any idea on costs?

:shock:

tbh id proberly have a good look over all your lines and see if any are in need of replacement, doubt many if any would really need changing, but def worth flushing all the old fluid out and put fresh in if you havent already.

MAXIBOY
26-10-2009, 21:15
can rust on the inside too....as the original are steel lines..

replacements are copper nickel and should never need doing again if done..
depends on condition of the originals

wrighty
26-10-2009, 22:11
They can be a royal pain to removed as the old nuts round off even when using a proper brake nut spanner. Need to redo mine but have no flaring tool yet! Anyone got any good recommendations as had cheap ones before that are useless!

Cheers, Paul

northy
26-10-2009, 22:14
i got my flairing tool from automec

wrighty
26-10-2009, 22:21
Which one did u get and can u remember what it cost Northy? Sorry to be a pain but like I say have bought a couple b4 that went straight in the bin!

TVM

northy
26-10-2009, 22:26
got the last ones on this page mate - but its how you use em not the price :wink:

http://www.automec.co.uk/oakes_tools/pipe_benders.html

carnt rember what flairing tool i bought.

Take your time when bending them, i used tiewraps to hold the new pipe to the green pipe when bending, helped get all the bends back in the right place.

wrighty
26-10-2009, 22:29
Too true mate but the ones I had really were toss as I have borrowed what look like a really old set from a garage a while back and it was superb! Made me feel somewhat better about replacing my brake lines eventually!

Which flaring tool did u go for out of interest?

northy
26-10-2009, 22:34
carnt rember, i know its blue and from automec if thats any use

stevie_b
27-10-2009, 10:03
I know what you mean about the flaring tools. I've bought a couple of cheap ones in the past and they don't really do the job that well. I borrowed a Sykes one off a garage in the end as they are excellent but were more than I would want to spend for something you tend to only do once in a blue moon!