PDA

View Full Version : What is it about cluch cables

kenny
03-10-2009, 19:14
Why are clutch cables so bloody difficult. I'm fortunate in that this is the first time a cable has snapped. Not a big deal as I have a spare, 2nd hand, but from a good working car. It's not difficult to replace, although a bit tricky. UNTILL the point comes when the pedal will not ratchet up enough. The routing is ok, I put the new one on as I was taking the old one out. The new cable worked fine in the other car. Is the fault with the ratchet mechanism, would a fault there cause a cable to snap? Are there any tricks/tips people have found?

busterhymes
03-10-2009, 19:45
had same issue and only way i got it working correctly was replace clutch pedal mech so unless u have done it already might be the solution other than that cable u put on maybe stretched beyond being serviceable even though it worked on another car :? :)

bradders
03-10-2009, 20:25
my cable snapped the other day....

i tried to get a new one fitted but it wouldnt stay in the mechanism cos it was f00ked, so i had to get a whole new clutch pedal which included the mechanism, now all is hunky dory

kenny
03-10-2009, 21:18
Sorted, schoolboy error. Where the cable exits the bulkhead it runs vertical and is cable tied to a bracket then turns near 90degrees and runs off around the bulkhead, under battery etc. just realised I hadn't cable tied it. It shortens the run another 2", just right. Getting the hump didn't help. :oops:

fasterthanjesus
04-10-2009, 06:31
iirc they changed the design of the rachet.

and only use genuine renault cables is my advice !

kenny
04-10-2009, 15:49
Having just had a look at 2 others this morning it seems the cable tie method is not correct. Whoever changed the last cable jobbed it to make it work, which it does, but probably puts more stress on the cable which probably leads to premature failure. It should exit the bulkhead and run behind the steering column to a pair of chassis clips on the nearside then under tha battery to the cluth fork. I am going to get a new cable, to ensure there is no question of 'stretch' and fit it properly. Then if there is a problem it is more likely the ratchet, which may be the reason for the cableties in the first place.

kenny
06-10-2009, 16:09
Just fitted new cable, couldn't wait for renault to get one on thursday as I will be leicester way on that day, so bought pattern part from local parts shop, £15 delivered same afternoon. Compared pattern to genuine renault and to be honest there is not any difference in the most important areas, length, cable dia. It is now routed correctly and works perfectly. At the pedal end it runs through a small loop guide on the adjustment mechanism, it's impossible to see so you need to feel it, it's just big enough to fit the nipple through and ensures the cable is sited correctly on the mechanism. It exits the bulkhead and runs down and behind the steering column and clips into the chassis on the nearside before running beneath the battery tray to the cluth fork. The job is made easier if you remove the exhaust manifold heatshield, battery and air filter box. Being routed correctly means there are no kinks/bends to put unwanted stress on the cable.