PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Selecting Reverse

cliopete
16-09-2009, 11:04
As subject, occasionally I just can't get reverse gear either with or without engine running. All other gears Ok but lever will not go into reverse.
I have checked the lift up inhibitor and this is not the problem. The gearbox and clutch have only done about 15,000 miles.
Any ideas

Pete

DaneC
16-09-2009, 11:43
Did this happen all of a sudden?

cliopete
16-09-2009, 11:51
It happens occasionally starting a few months ago, then disappears. It usually happens when engine/gearbox is still cold ie 1st thing in morning.

busterhymes
16-09-2009, 12:07
non renault clutch cable??, clutch pedal mech requires changing??, gear shift linkage needing fine adjustment, to check the clutch pedal adjuster is working ok u can get hold of the inner cable at the release fork end and by pulling it u should get 20mm slack you can also check the movement on the release fork end which should be 17-18mm this will confirm the clutch stroke is correct (this is easy done with two people)
what clutch do u have fitted?? was the white nylon stop that the release fork rests against replaced when gearbox/clutch replaced?? :) :)

cliopete
16-09-2009, 13:20
non renault clutch cable??, clutch pedal mech requires changing??, gear shift linkage needing fine adjustment, to check the clutch pedal adjuster is working ok u can get hold of the inner cable at the release fork end and by pulling it u should get 20mm slack you can also check the movement on the release fork end which should be 17-18mm this will confirm the clutch stroke is correct (this is easy done with two people)
what clutch do u have fitted?? was the white nylon stop that the release fork rests against replaced when gearbox/clutch replaced?? :) :)
Fairly sure that this is not a clutch related problem as selection of first gear is OK. If if is the shift linkage then surely it would happen all the time??
Pete

busterhymes
16-09-2009, 18:04
would tend to agree on linkage but they can be awkward to tweak up and only takes slight amount of adjustment to correct or cause a selection problem, just putting stuff out there for you to think over, but if you cant select reverse i am assuming it selects all gears apart from reverse if so then either on the gear shift side or the gearbox itself i'm afraid it can be a bit of trial and error job :?

Wobba
17-09-2009, 09:04
would tend to agree on linkage but they can be awkward to tweak up and only takes slight amount of adjustment to correct or cause a selection problem, just putting stuff out there for you to think over, but if you cant select reverse i am assuming it selects all gears apart from reverse if so then either on the gear shift side or the gearbox itself i'm afraid it can be a bit of trial and error job :?

Lol, trial and error. Spot on there. Done it twice now.

make sure before you play with the linkage you mark the clevis bar in relation to the clamp BEFORE undoing it. Saves time.

From memory, with reverse being the problem, you'll need to twist the selector arm anti clockwise (from the perspective of sitting in the drivers seat). Try and do very very small adjustments each time and test the gears each time as well...