PDA

View Full Version : light weight wheels

speed
09-09-2009, 06:56
hi ppl

what light wheels is there available for clio fitment?
anything much lighter than supaleggas?

i know martin had some silly light wheels, the jap ones? anyone know what they were?

stevie_b
09-09-2009, 09:22
The Superleggeras are pretty lightweight, look good and were not too hard to find in Clio fitment. The quality is also pretty good as I've found the lacquer on them is a lot better than other wheels I've got and if you take care of them with regular cleaning inside the rim you can keep them looking like new. Pleased enough with them that I now have 3 sets!

i know martin had some silly light wheels, the jap ones? anyone know what they were?

Martin had the lightest I've seen to date at under 4kg a wheel, although that was a 6.5" width rim. They were Desmond Regamaster rims.

Purple
09-09-2009, 09:51
2 Jap brands I know that make lightweight wheels are Enkei and BuddyClub (the latter being more expensive and lighter). Don't know if they fit clios though. I think anything around 5kg is a realistic target weight to look for. Anything below that is going to cost a lot, very hard to find and probably ugly.

Purple
09-09-2009, 10:07
Oh, forgot to mentioned, don't trust the weight stamping on the wheel. Weigh all 4 wheels yourself when collecting.

volymmannen
09-09-2009, 10:35
what about light weight tires ?? last time i measured the tire was heavier than the rim,and the air in the tire, helium instead perhaps :)

Purple
09-09-2009, 11:27
Continentals generally make their tyres lighter than other makes. I think the Ecos and ContactSports are noticeably lighter just by picking them up compared to others. But weight should not the only performance consideration for tyres whereas for wheels its probably the most important.

Jamie.
09-09-2009, 12:14
My friend has buddy club wheels on his ph2 172 but are 16's.

Prob not interested but he is selling them soon.

white16valver
09-09-2009, 15:49
Aren't Rota wheels light?

The Pro Race 1 / 1.2s are lighter than standard too iirc, but not silly light.

speed
09-09-2009, 18:09
thanks for the replies guys

id like a set of Desmond RegaMaster but got a feeling there will be rare....
does it matter that they are 6.5"? still take a 195 tyre.

if i struggle to find some i will opt for some leggers.....
stevie_b 3 sets is greedy :D

speed
09-09-2009, 19:24
if anyone stumbles across a set of Desmond RegaMasters send them my way :D

im sure some of you lads are members of jap fourms :P

Coops
09-09-2009, 23:33
195 on 6.5j will be fine mate

stevie_b
10-09-2009, 08:34
Aren't Rota wheels light?

The Pro Race 1 / 1.2s are lighter than standard too iirc, but not silly light.

Depends which Rotas... The Circuit 8 is one of their lightest at 5.4 kg in 15x6.5, but the Rota Competition in the same size is 7.6 kg! That compares with the Superleggeras at 5.2 kg in 15x7 and the Pro Race 1s at 6.1 kg.

stevie_b 3 sets is greedy :D

Maybe, but they are not all for the Clio. As I mentioned, it was the quality of the finish that also impressed so I kept an eye out for similar for my track tyres on the other cars. It would be interesting to see if you can get hold of the Desmonds - a saving of over 1 kg per wheel over pretty much anything else you can get is a jolly decent saving!