PDA

View Full Version : turbo set up help

walters300
03-09-2009, 22:32
hi lads i am trying to get my dimma turbo the way i want it, it has a forged bottom end but i want to make it as reliable as possible and i am happy with low boost, it has a blitz boost controller which i want to remove but keep the boost gauge, also i want to get rid of the dump valve, its a williams engine with a bb based conversion and chip, also has a fuel pressure regulator, do i need it? I recently fitted an oil pressure switch on the block where the oil feed pipe is for the turbo so i could monitor the turbo, its a new switch but i dont get anything on the dash, the gauge flicks up on ignition so the gauge seems fine, i know the engine is good as its brand new! Any suggestions, thanks lads

kj16v
03-09-2009, 23:12
Hi, do you know if the ecu was actually mapped, or is it running an off-the-shelf turbo chip? And if it was mapped, was it done with the fuel pressure regulator fitted?

If so, then the pressure regulator needs to stay because the ecu was setup to run at whatever pressure the FPR is set to.

If it's running an off-the-shelf turbo chip, then I strongly suggest you get it mapped properly. Every engine is different and has different requirements.

bbaazz-08
04-09-2009, 00:53
you will still get the dump valve type sound anyway from the air filter when you let the boost off so you may aswell leave it on

Allan
04-09-2009, 09:51
removing your boost controller is easy, just take off the boostline to your inlet (this is where is measures what boost you are on)
Take off the actuator which will be put in between your waste gate and a boost source either on the turbo or very close to where your boost work starts, then block off the hole for the boostline or if its on a t peice remove it. The where the actuator used to be just run a stright length of tube between your wastegate and boost source.

For the dump valve just take it off and plug the hole up with something.
You will get the impeller stall sound instead of the dump valve then, or you could put the boost back in up stream using a recirc setup.

But your not going to make it any more reliable by removing the dump valve and the boost controller.

as above if its mapped with a fpr you will need it

walters300
04-09-2009, 12:49
:D :D :D guys thank you very much :wink: kj16v - it was mapped prior to engine rebuild with the fpr, this was done by the previous owner who new his stuff, i dont think the fuelling requirements would have changed much as i only went up one size on the pistons, so thats staying on defo!!! thanks pal.

bbazz - i dont mind a bit of noise but i think a dump valve is a bit of a marmite item, i heard a car the other day and i liked it, someone told me it was a waste gate and not a dump valve, how does that work and wtf is it??, i am also going to move the battery to the rear and experiment with the induction noise to see if i can design some sort of contraption which will make the same noise as throttle bodies, turbo power is awsome but itb's sound so much better.

allan- thanks allan for the step by step guide, i will have a go tomorrow and see how i get on, i have been given a contact for the local college who have a rolling road, so after i take my bits off i will book it in and get it checked for piece of mind, as i dont want another 3k bill for an engine re build! ah while i remember i have an original dimma sticker that sits in the centre of the front screen if you want it, i think i will have to get one that says mong for mine by the time i have finished with it! :lol:

kj16v
04-09-2009, 17:26
someone told me it was a waste gate and not a dump valve, how does that work and wtf is it??

Unfortunately that person didn't have their facts straight! People who don't really understand turbos often think that the "turboy" noises are caused by the wastegate. It's got nothing to do with it. The wastegate is the little mechanism in the turbo that controls the level of boost. The wastegate makes no sound at all.

Atmospheric (vent to air) dump valves make a woosh or whistle. Having no dump valve, makes that "chiruping" sound, caused by compressor surge forcing air out the air filter.

BTW, some people will insist that compressor surge will break the turbo/destroy the engine/open a portal to Hell. It's all bull and it won't!

Justin..
04-09-2009, 18:16
^ Sense finally!! Alot of BS around about turbos!!

walters300
04-09-2009, 18:19
you know your spuds fair play! And thanks for that, i will remove what i dont want on there tomorrow and fingers crossed it will start afterwards, i will have a good look at every item involved tomorrow and keep you posted on how its going, i might pull the spark plugs and take a pic of them and post it on here, that usually tells a story i beleive, thanks again :wink:

bbaazz-08
04-09-2009, 19:49
@kj16v......you can get a nice noise like a purr/whistle type noise from wastegate but only from tdi`s as they have a vnt type of wastegate system........the noise comes from the exhaust when the standard is removed and aftermarket or straight pipe put it :)

Coops
04-09-2009, 20:25
and surge must do something, you cant spin something to 100,000rpm then stop it dead on its bearings and cause no damage/excess wear no matter how light the component it, surely, my understanding of mechanics and physics says it must do something

walters300
04-09-2009, 20:35
well i am working hard on the sound dept and i built my own back box and it sounds more rally spec than turbo at the moment, gurgling and all sorts, but unfortunetely that might be because its not running right! Started it earlier after a spell of standing and it was very lumpy for a bit and the smoke coming out of the exhaust has a little more black than i am used to, also found a small leak on the injector rail, i have been concentrating on the body work for the last while but tomorrow i am going to work out the mechanical side, and lads i am going to be asking the most idiotic questions as i havent much knowledge, and i really appreciate your help and patience, with your help i will get it perfect, :D

walters300
04-09-2009, 23:39
very good point there ben and something to consider, how about i made a sponge type silencer and wrapped it? Then id get rid of the noise and still have a free spinning turbo 8)

bbaazz-08
05-09-2009, 01:43
only way to get rid of noise (surge noise) is a fully enclosed airbox

coops the turbine shaft doesnt stop dead after a spin as im sure you already know ....actualy never stops until engine off.......but even with a dump valve you still get pressure surge so im with kj 16v on this one

volymmannen
05-09-2009, 10:40
turbo surge appears with high pressure and low flow, the air slip backwards in the compressor until pressure difference is reduced,if you use a dumpvalve you reduce the pressure through the valve instead of the compressor

Glekke
05-09-2009, 15:54
I have the original 19 16v airbox on... and I don't have alot of noise from the comp. surge... So that might be a solution for less noise...

Justin..
05-09-2009, 16:15
any pics of your setup?

walters300
05-09-2009, 16:17
:) happy days lads, i have removed the boost bits and it starts fine, also discovered that the hose connecting to the map sensor had snapped off some how :evil: hence the liumpy running, lucky i had a spare map sensor, but it has different numbers :roll: the map sensor on there had 701897, and the spare i had was 7026215, both were supposed to be r21 turbo items, but it runs fine,

the hosing is set up as follows-
1. inlet manifold to dump valve
2. another inlet manifold connected to a metal pipe on the rocker cover to one side of the fpv
3. other side of fpv to actuator.

i have a couple of questions as follows
1. have i got the correct map sensor, if not where can i buy a r21 turbo item.
2. the fpr has a spout near the adjustment nut and there is nothing connected to it, is this correct.
3.if i want to remove the dump valve where do i connect that hose to, coming off the inlet manifold.
4. oil breather pipe set up off rocker cover, nearest driver side i have a blank, then one connected to a small filter, sholud this be a catch tank? and if so how does it work, is it just a container to hold any oil which might come out of the pipe,
:wink: a big thank you for your input to date and i appreciate your help on the above.

walters300
05-09-2009, 17:45
:oops: :roll: sorry lads got it wrong there, 1st i have the non return, then the filter thing, and a blank on the inlet manifold :roll: :wink: