PDA

View Full Version : twin rear caliper set up

speed
24-07-2009, 22:05
any one know about the twin rear caliper setup?

i know stromba had valver front brakes mounted on the rear along with the original rear caliper. so he could use one for his hydrolic handbrake.

my question is how are they mounted/fit ?

wil4s1
25-07-2009, 08:07
best thing to do would probably be drop him an email he usually helps when asking about things like that

rob_barrington@hotmail.com

sideways danny
25-07-2009, 20:10
why??? it's hardly a heavy car, if you want to inprove braking to the rear, adjust the bias.

Burp on CS has had trouble with reducing the bias to the rear on his 172 since re-plumbing and adding adjustment, the calipers are perfectly capable, they just dont get asked to do anything

busterhymes
25-07-2009, 20:15
why??? it's hardly a heavy car, if you want to inprove braking to the rear, adjust the bias.

Burp on CS has had trouble with reducing the bias to the rear on his 172 since re-plumbing and adding adjustment, the calipers are perfectly capable, they just dont get asked to do anything

how can the rear bias be adjusted guess its the threaded adjjuster on the valve but which way increase the rear brake performance

speed
25-07-2009, 20:18
i want to have the std caliper for normal brake/handbrake but run another caliper for a hydro handbrake

MAXIBOY
25-07-2009, 20:54
why just use the standard calipers and two handbrake levers..one hydro working the rear footbrake calipers on a handbrake otherwise you increasing unsprung weight which is a huge no no.

Twincam
29-07-2009, 20:30
Like others have said, just plumb into the orginal calipers

Mines been no problem for the past 2 years :D

Winston
30-07-2009, 18:24
Standard rear calipers are wank.... Mine will only just about lock with a hydro handbrake

The piston on an front RT caliper is much larger and suiited to locking the rear wheels... and weight wise.. if you have to have extra weight might as well put it at the rear and low down

Standard handbrake and caliper set up for brakes and extra front RT calipers bolted on and plummed to hydro handbrake

Twincam
31-07-2009, 22:43
What size master cylinder were you using on your system winston and which style of handbrake (vertical or normal)

Like Iv said above no problem with mine using standard calipers, locks up just fine

Twincam
31-07-2009, 22:44
also do you have your handbrake after the bias valve?

sideways danny
02-08-2009, 03:22
Standard rear calipers are w**k.... Mine will only just about lock with a hydro handbrake

The piston on an front RT caliper is much larger and suiited to locking the rear wheels... and weight wise.. if you have to have extra weight might as well put it at the rear and low down

Standard handbrake and caliper set up for brakes and extra front RT calipers bolted on and plummed to hydro handbrake

Sounds like they're ****ed. Burp disconnecet completely to stop the back locking up and overtaking the front yesterday. Nothing wrong with stock when they work