PDA

View Full Version : my 3000v shock at work

flash
23-07-2009, 19:44
assuming most of you dont know. i repair electrical trains.. well. at work today we had a dodgy capacitor (big capacitor!!)
storing ridiculous amounts of charge even after been probed !
i touched the thing and i got a nice shock of 3000v. luckily it went in through my wrist and escaped through my hand (the hospital said if it had crossed my chest it more than likely would of fried my heart so im a lucky guy)
this was the worste pain i have ever felt by a long milestone !
i was rushed into hospital and had various machines hooked up to me
i had 3 ecg heart scans
blood sugar levels taken
urine sample
blood sample
physical examination
and was on a heart monitor for 4 hours
the doctors and nurses where surprised i managed to walk through the front door !
anyway heres a little snap that had to be taken by a work colleague once my heart steadied and i felt okay

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5876/photo0107vtt.jpg

attractive i know ;)
big niipples

i now have the nickname flash at work (name change on the forum?) haha

oh wel on with the hybrid :twisted:

LEIGH-ANNE
23-07-2009, 20:02
****, glad ur ok!

Be careful next time silly!

ThRaXaIR
23-07-2009, 20:16
you industrial and electronic engineers are always show boating! its not big and its not clever!

there was no amps there dunno what your moaning for, just going for that sympathy vote! can't beat a nice domestic supply and a potential 100amp toasting!......

(just kidding mate i know the hazards of electrics all to well being a sparky an all. you were lucky there be careful in future mate! :D )

p.s. your arms not gunna pop up all black tomorrow and fall off is it? i remember those pics in college and they were gross!!

flash
23-07-2009, 20:48
haha yeppp..
it was the way i used a discharge probe on it !
isolated the line contanct switches (so no power can get into the car of that train)
i put the pantograph up (to make contacts with the overheads which is 25k)
tested the other end of the train
dropped pan.. went over.. had a fiddle and wham!!.. jesus christ hah..
yeah the scare tactic :P
but like you said.. low current.. thats the one that kills ya :P
still fookin hurt mind !

northy
23-07-2009, 20:55
bloody hell u have been lucky there

Was watching my boss test with 3600V today aswell, should of heard it crackling!

Jamie.
23-07-2009, 21:17
Blimey, that's lucky.

Wobba
23-07-2009, 21:32
Shit! Close call!

ThRaXaIR
23-07-2009, 22:07
Electricity is just generally horrible stuff!! i dont trust it at all. keep up the good work FLASH-OOOOOOOH! SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE........ :wink:

col
23-07-2009, 22:08
Bloody hell matey, so now we can stick a three pin plug up your ass an light up half of brum....whos the big capasiter now then??

What a bright spark,glad your ok......just watch how many lives youve got left eh. :shock: :wink:

flash
23-07-2009, 23:03
well.. im mechanically biased so i live by the motto i dont trust anything i cant see !
3000v is nothing when youve got 25000 above your head :P
im just glad i lived to tell the tale and start my hybrid project :P

katbloke
24-07-2009, 10:44
thatnk god the areas i work on the railways in arent overheads or 3rd/4th rail, seen the result of accidents in these areas and to say you were lucky is an understatement

summeh
24-07-2009, 12:26
:O

I got an electric shock off the lighting circuit here at home... **** me did it hurt! I screamed like a bitch!..

wavy
24-07-2009, 12:37
i put my tounge on 12v battery lol

glad your ok fella

MatrixGuy
24-07-2009, 12:54
fuvking hell! glad your ok mate!! :shock:

hope your feeling better soon.

flash
24-07-2009, 16:36
im fine now tbh.. ive been out rallying and im stripping out my valver ready for the start of my hybrid project
yeah.. overheads are naughty things.. weve some some pretty scary things :P

dunno if youve ever been to an electrical depot. but we have square shape cut outs in the shutters to alow the overheads to come in to the depot. birds try and fly through the hole. one wing touches overheads one wing touches the door and BOOM nothing left of the thing

6ft arching distance on them badboys too

webby
24-07-2009, 17:49
stop makin it out to be really bad dude :P u told me u got a shock from a game boy while sitting on ur arse at work doin sweet FA :lol:

MatrixGuy
24-07-2009, 18:01
stop makin it out to be really bad dude :P u told me u got a shock from a game boy while sitting on ur arse at work doin sweet FA :lol:

hahahaha :lol:

flash
24-07-2009, 21:17
it was a vibrator actually :oops:

webby
24-07-2009, 21:25
it was a vibrator actually :oops:

you told me that was for me, didnt expect you to use it on yourself :flag:

katbloke
25-07-2009, 10:15
im fine now tbh.. ive been out rallying and im stripping out my valver ready for the start of my hybrid project
yeah.. overheads are naughty things.. weve some some pretty scary things :P

dunno if youve ever been to an electrical depot. but we have square shape cut outs in the shutters to alow the overheads to come in to the depot. birds try and fly through the hole. one wing touches overheads one wing touches the door and BOOM nothing left of the thing

6ft arching distance on them badboys too

Always told on COSS/PTS courses that you must stay at least 9' away from overheads, i prefer to be 200 miles from them :D

flash
25-07-2009, 12:48
they never told me that on my pts :S
if that was the case.. then we wouldnt have to isolate the overheads when we go on the roof of trains

katbloke
26-07-2009, 00:38
but surely you cant go up there without the nominated person giving you or your coss the correct form whatever it is, only done my coss 2 weeks ago and forgotten alreadly lol

flash
26-07-2009, 00:59
just an overhead isolation.. earthing pole locked over with a personal padlock on and a harness to stop you gobbing it off the side

col
26-07-2009, 10:18
So this is why we dont use public transport.........people "surfin" on tops of locomtives.... :lol:

flash
26-07-2009, 10:40
no to mention the people who "pretend" to drive them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYceqL3BytA

i really must get a life